• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

most

Is the use of "most" in the following sentences correct grammatically and conceptually? If it is not , kindly suggest ways to make it clearer.

He has also mentioned that solar PV energy conversion will become essential in future because most sustainable energy supply must be based on solar energy.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 08-Aug-2017 at 16:20. Reason: Removed quote box so responders can quote it more easily.

nigele2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: most

Ali it is not correct.

"He has also mentioned that solar PV energy conversion will become essential in future because" is correct. Now we need the reason that he believes, or knows this to be true. Note he is talking about the future - "will become".

Possibly: "because most sustainable energy supplies will have to be based on solar energy".

The problem I have with this is that if the conversion is essential, presumably all systems will need to be converted (that have not already been converted). Yet you want to use 'most' which implies not all. But that may be my misunderstanding of what you want to say.

If you have another go at it we can comment further.

HTH

Last edited by nigele2; 08-Aug-2017 at 20:37.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Nigele, what does "HTH" mean at the end of post #2? It's not an abbreviation I have ever seen (and we encourage users here not to use such structures).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

nigele2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Nigele, what does "HTH" mean at the end of post #2? It's not an abbreviation I have ever seen (and we encourage users here not to use such structures).
    Sincere apologies. Didn't realise it was thought out of scope. I will desist.

It means 'Hope that helps'. I teach it along with the other standard internet and text words so it sort of comes as second nature. It helps with what being an olden I would call 'pen friend' communication.

Nigel