• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Corner to himself

''If he can master the strange ways of this forest, he will have a little corner of Madagascar to himself.''

In this sentence, ''he'' is a lemur. Does the use of to sound strange in the sentence? I understand that corner to himself indicates a corner which belongs to him. He will spend an important part of his time in it. However, I wonder that If I say that corner for him/himself or corner to him, does it work in the sentence?

Thanks for your help!

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Corner to himself

Quote Originally Posted by Erbab View Post
    ''If he can master the strange ways of this forest, he will have a little corner of Madagascar to himself.''

In this sentence, ''he'' is a lemur. Does the use of "to" sound strange in the sentence? (No, it's fine.) I understand that "corner to himself" indicates a corner which belongs to him. He will spend an important part of his time in it. (I can't understand the next sentence:) However, I wonder that If I say that corner for him/himself or corner to him, does it work in the sentence?
    Always mark words and text you're asking about by setting it in italics or surrounding it with quotation marks as I've done above. The last sentence above is incomprehensible partly because, I think, some of its words are unmarked quoted text.
    I am not a teacher.

bubbha is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

In reply to the OP's question, it sounds natural and normal to use "to himself".
    NOT A TEACHER. Translator and editor, and I hold a TESOL certificate. Native speaker of American English (West Coast)

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

"to himself" is fine but it doesn't mean that the corner of Madagascar "belongs to him" or that he spends "an important part of his time" (unnatural in BrE) there. It means that he would be the only lemur living in that small area of Madagascar.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.