Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6,265

    There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

    1) There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

    2) There is building opposite to the Max hospital across the road.

    Do opposite and opposite to mean the same here?

    We use "opposite of" when we are talking about the logical things but "opposite to" is used for the physical things. Am I correct?

  2. #2
    tzfujimino's Avatar
    tzfujimino is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,348

    Re: There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

    It should probably be:

    1. There's a building across the road from Max Hospital.
    2. There's a building opposite Max Hospital.
    3. There's a building on the opposite side of the road from Max Hospital.

    The word "opposite" in #2 is a preposition. I don't think "opposite to" works there.
    Last edited by tzfujimino; 10-Aug-2017 at 08:24.

  3. #3
    tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6,265

    Re: There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    It should probably be:

    1. There's a building across the road from Max Hospital.
    2. There's a building opposite Max Hospital.
    3. There's a building on the opposite side of the road from Max Hospital.

    The word "opposite" in #2 is a preposition. I don't think "opposite to" works there.

    I checked the link but I am still confused about "Opposite to". Is there a way to determine where we have to use "Opposite to" and where we have to use "Opposite of" or just "Opposite"?

    "A political philosophy that was opposite to everything she believed in" can this be written as "A political philosophy that was opposite of everything she believed in"?
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 10-Aug-2017 at 20:16.

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,237

    Re: There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    I checked the link but I am still confused about "Opposite to". Is there a way to determine where we have to use "Opposite to" and where we have to use "Opposite of" or just "Opposite"?

    "A political philosophy that was opposite to everything she believed in" can this be written as "A political philosophy that was the opposite of everything she believed in"?
    When you're talking about physical location/position, I can't think of any reason to use "opposite to".

    The idea in the two sentences you have now given is completely different to that in post #1 when you were talking about buildings.

    My house is opposite the hospital. (This is the use of "opposite" you needed in post 1.)
    My house is the opposite of small. (This is the use of "opposite" demonstrated in post 3.)
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. #5
    tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6,265

    Re: There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    When you're talking about physical location/position, I can't think of any reason to use "opposite to".

    The idea in the two sentences you have now given is completely different to that in post #1 when you were talking about buildings.

    My house is opposite the hospital. (This is the use of "opposite" you needed in post 1.)
    My house is the opposite of small. (This is the use of "opposite" demonstrated in post 3.)

    This word has a meaning opposite to that word.

    This word is opposite of that word.

    Are these sentences correct?

    "A political philosophy that wasthe opposite of everything she believed in"? Could you please tell me whether this sentence is correct or not?

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,237

    Re: There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    This word has a meaning opposite to that word.
    This word means the opposite of that word.

    This word is opposite of that word.
    This word is the opposite of that word.

    Are these sentences correct?

    "A political philosophy that was the opposite of everything she believed in." Could you please tell me whether this sentence is correct or not?
    It's not a complete sentence so it's not correct. However, the use of "opposite of" is correct in the sentence fragment.
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. #7
    tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6,265

    Re: There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    See above.
    "A political philosophy that was the opposite of everything she believed in her whole life." Is it a complete sentence now (I added "her whole life" to it)? I got this sentence from the link that was provided in the second post. Would it be correct with "Opposite of", if it was a complete sentence?

    So where do we use "Opposite to" could you please tell me? Could you please give me few examples so that I can understand?

  8. #8
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,237

    Re: There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

    No. It's still not a complete sentence. Try putting something before "a political philosophy". That "something else" should include a verb.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  9. #9
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,253

    Re: There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

    Forget about using to after "opposite".
    I am not a teacher.

  10. #10
    tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6,265

    Re: There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Forget about using to after "opposite".
    Is "Opposite to" not used?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •