• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

That person wasn't tall enough to raise that kid to the fan to get hurt.

I was at my friend's house and his uncle was carrying his kid in his arms. He was raising that kid up and there was a fan above his head. His wife looked at the fan whenever he raised the kid up. But I do not know why she was concerned because the fan was "quite high" or "at the height". That person wasn't tall enough to raise that kid to the fan to get hurt.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: That person wasn't tall enough to raise that kid to the fan to get hurt.

You really need to stop using the word "that" so often. Sometimes it's appropriate but most of the time when you use it, it should just be "the".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    You really need to stop using the word "that" so often. Sometimes it's appropriate but most of the time when you use it, it should just be "the".
    I was at my friend's house and his uncle was carrying his kid in his arms. He was raising the kid up and there was a fan above his head. His wife looked at the fan whenever he raised the kid up. But I do not know why she was concerned because the fan was "quite high" or "at the height". That person wasn't tall enough to raise the kid to the fan to get hurt.

Lynxear is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I would agree and add the word "kid" to the list. I keep thinking of a young goat, not a child.
    Experience is recognizing a mistake the second time you make it.
    You don't go to an Englishman when you want good pierogi.

- Wisdom from my father

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Also, consider the age and sex of the child. If the child has not yet reached the age of one, I'd call him/her a baby. At the beginning, I'd say that the uncle was carrying his niece/nephew in his arms.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Also, consider the age and sex of the child. If the child has not yet reached the age of one, I'd call him/her a baby. At the beginning, I'd say that the uncle was carrying his niece/nephew in his arms.
    I was at my friend's house and his uncle was carrying his nephew in his arms. He was raising the child up and there was a fan above his head. His wife looked at the fan whenever he raised the child up. But I do not know why she was concerned because the fan was "quite high" or "at the height". That person wasn't tall enough to raise the child to the fan to get cut.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

When I was my friend's house, his uncle was lifting his young nephew above his head. His wife was looking worried because she thought the child might hit the ceiling fan. She didn't need to worry, though - her husband isn't tall enough to lift the child that high.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

When I was my friend's house, his uncle was lifting his young nephew above his head. His wife was looking worried because she thought the child might hit the ceiling fan. She didn't need to worry, though - her husband isn't tall enough to lift the child that high.
    Can I say "He couldn't have lifted him to the fan" or "He couldn't have lifted him up to the fan"?

"The fan was at the height" is it correct to say this?

Lynxear is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Can I say "He couldn't have lifted him to the fan" or "He couldn't have lifted him up to the fan"?

"The fan was at the height" is it correct to say this?
    Emsr2d2 has just given you a great rewrite of what you have given us. Why are you ignoring her?
    Experience is recognizing a mistake the second time you make it.
    You don't go to an Englishman when you want good pierogi.

- Wisdom from my father

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

'The fan was at the height' means nothing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last