Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi everyone If someone asks me 'are you tired', can I reply him 'yes, I'm very tired. I was doing my homework'

J

J&K Tutoring

"I was doing my home work." puts the 'doing' in the past, but a rather indefinite past. Were you doing your homework immediately before the question was asked, as the question is being asked, or at some time much earlier? The homework is not definitely connected with the tiredness. I recommend: 'Yes, I'm very tired. I have been doing my homework.'

subhajit123

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"I was doing my home work." puts the 'doing' in the past, but a rather indefinite past. Were you doing your homework immediately before the question was asked, as the question is being asked, or at some time much earlier? The homework is not definitely connected with the tiredness. I recommend: 'Yes, I'm very tired. I have been doing my homework.'

Thank you! What you wrote above is actually what my grammar book says. But if I reply in past continuous tense, will I be wrong?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you! What you wrote above is actually what my grammar book says. But if I reply in past continuous tense, will I be wrong?

It would be a non sequitur - a statement which doesn't follow from the previous statement.

If doing your homework is what made you tired, you should use the present perfect continuous as your grammar book suggests.

Last edited:

subhajit123

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It would be a non sequitur - a statement which doesn't follow from the previous statement.

If doing your homework is what made you tired, you should use the present perfect as your grammar book suggests.

Now it's clear.:-o

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could, but it is very common to use the present perfect continuous when there is present evidence (tiredness) of recent activity (doing homework). I wouldn't say that the past is wrong, but I would be more likely to use have been doing.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It doesn't seem weird to me. This may be another example of the American usage being more accepting of simple past as well as present perfect.

I was [just] doing my homework.
Or course "I was up doing my homework until 1 am" is a different story and a reasonable explanation for why you are tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.