Funny story

I read a following funny story in the internet, but I cannot understand
    the meaning of the under-lined sentense. I don't know if it is appropriate
    to ask such a question here, but would anyone tell me this meaning?
    QOT
    Email
    A couple from Minneapolis decided to go to Florida for a long weekend to thaw out during one particularly icy cold winter. They both had jobs, and had difficulty coordinating their travel schedules. It was decided the husband would fly to Florida on a Thursday, and his wife would follow him the next day. Upon arriving as planned, the husband checked into the hotel. There he decided to open his laptop and send his wife an e-mail back in Minneapolis. However, he accidentally left off one letter in her address and sent the e-mail without noticing his error.
    In the mean time:
    In Houston, a widow had just returned from her husband's funeral. He was a minister of many years who had been "called home to glory" following a heart attack (died and gone to report in heaven). The widow checked her e-mail, expecting messages from family and friends. Upon reading the first message, she fainted and fell to the floor. The widow's son rushed into the room, found his mother on the floor and saw the computer screen which read:
    To: My loving Wife
    Subject: I've arrived!
    I've just arrived and have been checked in. I see that everything has been prepared for your arrival tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you then. Hope your journey is as uneventful as mine was.
    P.S. Sure is hot down here.
    UNQOT

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Re: Funny story

Thatīs a very funny story indeed! What is it that you donīt get? the underlined part says that the widowīs husband was an old priest who died of a heart attack!

A "minister" here would be a minister of religion -- not necessarily an actual priest, but one who performs a similar function. Specifically, he would be a minister of a Christian church. "Of many years" means he had been working as a minister for many years. "Called home to glory" is a euphemism for "died". Christians believe that they die at a time appointed by God; when it is time to die, God calls them. Christians also believe that people who have led good lives go to heaven, where they are rewarded and where they spend eternity basking in God's glory; people who have lived bad lives go to hell, where they are punished and tortured, usually by fire. Hell is usually envisioned as a place of burning fire and hot sulphur, like the inside of a volcano. "Died and gone to report in heaven" is what is called a "gloss": a short text added by someone as an explanation to help you understand a difficult passage. In other words, it means the same as the previous sentence, but using different words.

Janaina Volker
    rewboss
    Thank you for your reply!
    The widow thought that her husband had gone to hell ? It is because she read
    "Sure is hot down here." ???

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

thatīs exactly it! and she fainted because he said she would get there tomorrow/the following day!