• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

if a person hadn't had a prior appointment then they would not be able to see the doc

I went to the doctor's clinic but he didn't check me. Later staff told me that if a person hadn't had a prior appointment then they would not be able to see the doctor.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: if a person hadn't had a prior appointment then they would not be able to see the

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    I went to the doctor's clinic but he didn't couldn't/wouldn't check see me. Later, staff told me that if a person hadn't had didn't have an prior appointment, then they would not be able to see the doctor.

Please check my sentences.
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

tedmc is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: if a person hadn't had a prior appointment then they would not be able to see the

tufguy
    How is it that you were only told later bythe clinic staff that consultation with the doctor was only by appointment?
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    tufguy
    How is it that you were only told later bythe clinic staff that consultation with the doctor was only by appointment?
    If somebody goes somewhere thinking that they do not need an appointment then it can happen to them.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I don't understand how that happens. When you arrive at a doctor's office, clinic, or hospital, don't you go straight to the reception desk to either tell them you're there for your appointment, or to ask if there are any appointments available because you want to see a doctor?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I don't understand how that happens. When you arrive at a doctor's office, clinic, or hospital, don't you go straight to the reception desk to either tell them you're there for your appointment, or to ask if there are any appointments available because you want to see a doctor?
    If they do not have an appointment available at that moment or for that day then you will have to go back to come back again tomorrow.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Why don't you just phone them first and see if they have any appointments available for today? If you go and they don't have any appointments and they tell you to come back tomorrow, do they actually give you a definite appointment for tomorrow?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Why don't you just phone them first and see if they have any appointments available for today? If you go and they don't have any appointments and they tell you to come back tomorrow, do they actually give you a definite appointment for tomorrow?
    Yes, when two years ago doctors asked me to get an MRI report I went directly to the center only to find that they didn't have any appointments available. They gave me an appointment for the next day.

andrewg927 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

There used to be a time in the US you could just walk into a doctor's office to be seen on the same day. Nowadays you need to set up an appointment first.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Yes, when two years ago doctors asked me to get an MRI report, I went directly to the center only to find that they didn't have any appointments available. They gave me an appointment for the next day.
    It was somewhat remiss of your doctor not to warn you that you might not be seen immediately/the same day. I can't speak knowledgeably about how the medical systems work where you are but, in the UK, unless a clinic is specifically designated as "walk-in", no one would simply turn up hoping for an appointment. We would phone them to make an appointment. If they happen to have an appointment available that day, that's great, but it's very unusual for that to happen!