• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Post English Learning for competitve exams!

Respected Teacher,

I have been the regular user of this site for the last 10 years. I want to seriously tune up my English skills up to the level of expert.

Sir, I am continuously facing difficulties in my professional career growth due to English. I have given few competitive exams but failed due to low English proficiency. I want to learn English to pass competitive exams in the following area:-

a. English Essay
    b. English comprehension
    c. English Grammar (Active/Passive Voice, Direct/Indirect)
    d. English Translation

Sir Can you help me finding online specialized tutor for me to upgrade myself in the above mentioned areas. Please guide me how to utilize this website properly so that I can get benefit from out of it.

Regards,

Muhammad Farhaj
    Islamabad, Pakisitan.

J&K Tutoring Guest

Re: English Learning for competitve exams!

While I applaud your ambition to work toward advancing your career, your 10 years of effort without success should be recognized as a sign that you have the wrong idea about language learning. Hoping to take lessons with the sole aim of passing an exam is like the person who thinks they can lose weight by following one of the "Lose weight quickly with our 5-Minutes-a-Day exercise plan" schemes. Somewhere in the fine print you find the words "with proper diet". It's the diet that reduces the weight. No reasonable person would think that 5 minutes a day is enough exercise to make a difference. You are not going to pass an exam with '10 easy lessons' (unless you are somehow provided with the exam in advance). You could spend hours and hours shooting free throws, but that wouldn't make you a basketball player.

Here's some candid advice- I hope it's not too harsh, but 10 years should have softened your ego:

1. Change your attitude. Look on learning English as a lifestyle choice- you want to actually learn to communicate in English, not just pass some exam. I recommend the book Speak by Michael and Gracelynn Knapp. It's written in English and Chinese, but the message is about how to think about learning English (or any foreign language).

2. Find a way to practice. Either find a partner or a group to talk with in English. Language is a skill, and you won't improve without practice- lots of practice. TV and films can be a help, but only if you are able to turn off the subtitles. As long as you have the subtitles, then you are reading your own language, not practicing English. Reading English literature can help, but stay away from 'classics'. Read contemporary authors to learn contemporary patterns of speech and thinking.

3. Think long and hard about whether or not this is the career for you. Many millions of people around the world lead happy, productive, and prosperous lives without learning English. Some people are able to learn languages easily, some are not. Age is a significant factor as well. Be realistic about what you are able and willing to do, and what is the best use of your time for yourself and your family.

Good Luck

Farhaj is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Post Re: English Learning for competitve exams!

Dear J&K Tutoring

Thank you for your detailed and spot on analysis and suggestions. I am happy to see that people here like you are available for the seekers.

I need written tutor in the field of English Language. I have no issues while speaking.

I need someone who can check my essays, comprehensions and other grammatical stuff.

Can you suggest any dedicated tutor?

Regards,

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Farhaj, J&K Tutoring give excellent free help and advice on this forum, but are not allowed to advertise their professional services.

If you are willing to pay for tuition, you could consider looking at their website.

J&K Tutoring Guest

Farhaj- I do one-on-one tutoring in my home in China. I have no website, and I don't know anyone who could help you.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply in this matter. But here I guess we can talk about the utility of this website in terms of personalized tuning up of skills.

Don't you think that this forum clearly lacks specialized/personalized training?

If there is no one available here to give proper time to someone who really needs dedicated services.

OR I may be wrong. Please guide me is there any option available here to get personalized training materials.

Regards,

Muhammad Farhaj

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    This is a forum in which volunteers give up some of their free time to respond to questions in public so that all members can learn from the responses.

We do not offer private tuition.

Yes Dear I know, the real problem lies here.

On this issue debate should be start that this website spectrum should be broader rather than just in bits and pieces.

If someone wants more dedicated services then there should be option available here for them.

Can the administrator of this site listen to our request that the spectrum of this site should be widened.

Regards.

Muhammad Farhaj

andrewg927 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Farhaj View Post
    Yes Dear
    You should start with the basics including how to properly address people.

"Yes dear" is reserved for your romantic partner.
    "Sir" is also not appropriate since there are females on this forum.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

What is the exam you want to take?