• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

it was Toby's marriage if the marriage had been on Wednesday, It would have been grea

If an incident has already happened and we are imagining that what would have happened if it had happened in the future then we use "Past perfect". Am I correct? For example "Keith is thinking: Today (Monday) it was Toby's marriage if the marriage had been on Wednesday, It would have been great for me".

If the incident still has to take place then we have to use "Past simple". Am I correct? For example "Keith's thinking: It is Monday today Raymond's marriage ceremony has to take place on Thursday. 'If it was today' or 'If it was on Saturday, it would be great'".

Could you please check my questions?

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: it was Toby's marriage if the marriage had been on Wednesday, It would have been

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    if you are talking about past and future weddings, don't have one taking place on the day of the thoughts.Your meaning might become less opaque.
    I don't understand this.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: it was Toby's marriage if the marriage had been on Wednesday, It would have been

Try some punctuation, and try using words such as 'next' and 'last'. Also, if you are talking about past and future weddings, don't have one taking place on the day of the thoughts.Your meaning might become less opaque.
    "Try some punctuation" did I make mistakes putting commas and periods? Where do I need to use "Next and last"? Could you please help?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

You have posted hundreds of questions since you joined the thread, tufguy. Many of the sentences you create now are as unnatural as those you created three years ago. You repeatedly make mistakes that have been pointed out countless times.

Instead of making up these sometimes bizarre sentences, why don't you try reading a lot more English written by native speakers to try to build some form of picture in your mind of the sentence patterns we use? Ask us about constructions/vocabulary you see that you don't understand. Our correction of sentences you create yourself is clearly not doing much for your English language skills.

I am still confused. Could you please show where do I need to use "Next" and "Last"?

I wasn't asking about the sentences. I was asking about the "Would have done" and "Would" in these sentences.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

You have posted hundreds of questions since you joined the thread, tufguy. Many of the sentences you create now are as unnatural as those you created three years ago. You repeatedly make mistakes that have been pointed out countless times.

Instead of making up these sometimes bizarre sentences, why don't you try reading a lot more English written by native speakers to try to build some form of picture in your mind of the sentence patterns we use? Ask us about constructions/vocabulary you see that you don't understand. Our correction of sentences you create yourself is clearly not doing much for your English language skills.

If an incident has already happened and we are imagining that what would have happened if it had happened in the future then we use "Past perfect". Am I correct? For example "Keith is thinking: Today (Monday) it was Toby's marriage. If the marriage had been on Wednesday, It would have been great for me".

If the incident still has to take place then we have to use "Past simple". Am I correct? For example "Keith's thinking: It is Monday today. Raymond's marriage ceremony has to take place on Thursday. 'If it was today' or 'If it was on Saturday, it would be great'".

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Please forgive me beforehand but I would like to say something. It is not as easy as you think it is for the people who have English as their secondary language. You know you just cannot make an image in your mind. Sometimes you have to memorize some things. You know why because you cannot feel that language. When you speak your native language you feel it but when it comes to your secondary language no matter how hard you try you cannot be a native speaker. People who try to learn a language that is not their own can understand what I am trying to say here but it is the reality. Foe example try learning Hindi or Sanskrit. Sorry for writing this but I hope you guys understand what I am trying to tell you here. You guys must be thinking this guy annoys a lot but I know when I do a lot then I get a little bit. Sorry for annoying you guys and writing this but I do respect you guys. You have taught me a lot of things.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Please forgive me beforehand but I would like to say something. It is not as easy as you think it is for the people who have English as their secondary second language. You know you just cannot make an image in your mind. Sometimes you have to memorize some things. You know why That is because you cannot feel that language. When you speak your native language you feel it but when it comes to your secondary second language no matter how hard you try you cannot become a native speaker. People who try to learn a language that is not their own can understand what I am trying to say here but it is the reality. Foe For example, try learning Hindi or Sanskrit. Sorry for writing this but I hope you guys understand what I am trying to tell you here. You guys must be thinking this guy annoys us a lot but I know when I do a lot then I get a little bit (I don't understand the underlined part). Sorry for annoying you guys and writing this but I do respect you guys. You have taught me a lot of things.
    With the exception of the few errors I have corrected above (and the part I don't understand), this is one of the best paragraphs of writing you have ever posted on the forum, tufguy. We do understand the problems of learning a second language. I think it's fairly likely that all the native speakers here have, at one time or another, tried to learn a second language.
    What annoys us sometimes is not your attempts to learn. What annoys us is your repeatedly ignoring the most basic corrections we make to your posts. Over three-odd years, we have repeatedly corrected basic errors in punctuation, capitalisation and sentence construction and yet you continue to make those same errors over and over again. There is very little point in your trying to advance into more complicated constructions and tense usage (for example) when you don't seem to have mastered some of the basics.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    With the exception of the few errors I have corrected above (and the part I don't understand), this is one of the best paragraphs of writing you have ever posted on the forum, tufguy. We do understand the problems of learning a second language. I think it's fairly likely that all the native speakers here have, at one time or another, tried to learn a second language.
    What annoys us sometimes is not your attempts to learn. What annoys us is your repeatedly ignoring the most basic corrections we make to your posts. Over three-odd years, we have repeatedly corrected basic errors in punctuation, capitalisation and sentence construction and yet you continue to make those same errors over and over again. There is very little point in your trying to advance into more complicated constructions and tense usage (for example) when you don't seem to have mastered some of the basics.
    By that underlined part I meant "when I put a lot of efforts then I am able to grasp a bit of this language. I mean you need to put a lot of efforts in order to learn very small things as well.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

You needed to say "Even when I try really hard, I learn only a little bit".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.