• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

he would take a look at the total expenditure and give him the money that "he owed to

My friend went somewhere with his friend. So they decided that only one person would spend the money for all the things they needed while travelling rather than both taking out money on train (Which was rather unsafe). My friend's friend asked him to spend the money. He told him that at the end of the journey he would take a look at the total expenditure and give him the money that "he owed to my friend" or "his share of money".

Please check my sentences.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: he would take a look at the total expenditure and give him the money that "he owe

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    My friend Paul went somewhere with his friend. They decided that only one person would pay for everything they needed while travelling, rather than both taking out money on the train (which was rather unsafe). The friend asked Paul to handle the money. He said that at the end of the journey he would take a look at the total expenditure and pay Paul. the half he owed him.

It becomes simpler to look at the structures if you give your friend a name.
    "The money that "he owed to my friend" or "his share of money." Are these sentences totally wrong?

Can't we simply say "What he owed him"?

tedmc is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: he would take a look at the total expenditure and give him the money that "he owe

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    "The money that "he owed to my friend" or "his share of money." Are these sentences totally wrong?

Can't we simply say "What he owed him"?
    The money owing by someone is not his/her share of the money. It is the "share of money owed". Piscean's "the half that he owed" is still the best term for it.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.