• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

tense correction

Hello, I am wondering if the underlined parts are correct in terms of tenses. The fragments are taken from a dialogue between 2 people who discuss how one of them has been perceiving her body in the course of an eating disorder, and how she has been dealing with anger (before the illness, she would shout at others; at the beginning of the illness, she would bottle up emotions; now when the illness is less severe, she again shouts). Thank you for your help.

1) A: now if you are seeing yourself fat less and less often, does it mean that you are less angry or do you do something else with this anger?
    B: Then I rather shout at others.
    A: So you are returning to what you did in the past?

2) A: so now you start getting angry with others, right? How do your parents react to your anger?

3) A: Your self-perception is also changing, right? Is it more often closer to what you see in photos and to what others say about your appearance?
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 20-Aug-2017 at 14:14. Reason: Enlarging font (Rover). Standardising font (emsr2d2).

teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: tense correction

The context/meaning is not very clear. Is it about the eating disorder or about that person's reaction to it? Why would she shout at others before the onset of the problem?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: tense correction

The one that sounds strange to me is I rather shout. It may have been I'd rather shout, which is still a bit strange, but people often talk strangely and evasively when dealing with such issues. The rest sounds to me like fairly normal tense use in speech.