• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

any word + -proof

Hello everyone.

Whatever word is put next to "-proof" works, be it animal-proof, child-proof, pet-proof, cat-proof, dog-proof, adult-proof, rodent-proof, and the list is neverending.

Am I right to claim that all the aforementioned 'proof' combinations can be adjectives, verbs and even past participles? I think they can also be GERUND forms and present participles.
    What do you think?

I have just animal-proofed the house = I have just protected the house from wild forest animals (says a forester).

This gas cooker is childproofed = It is impossible for children to destroy it.

My dad is pet-proofing the carpet = My dad is making the carpet resistant to pets.

My brother is helping me to cat-proof the furniture in the house = My brother is helping me to make the furniture in the house resistant to cats.

You had better buy Roofie a dog-proof toy = You had better buy Roofie a toy that cannot be damaged by dogs.

This item is completely adult-proof = This item can only be used by children or youngsters.

You should definitely rodent-proof your furniture = You should definitely prevent rodents from ruining your furniture.

What do you think of my examples?

Do they make sense?

Thank you.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: any word + -proof

Quote Originally Posted by JACEK1 View Post
    Hello everyone.

Whatever word is put next to "-proof" works, be it animal-proof, child-proof, pet-proof, cat-proof, dog-proof, adult-proof, rodent-proof, and the list is neverending.

Am I right to claim that all the aforementioned 'proof' combinations can be adjectives, verbs and even past participles? I think they can also be GERUND forms and present participles.
    What do you think?

I have just animal-proofed the house = I have just protected the house from wild forest animals (says a forester).

This gas cooker is childproofed = It is impossible for children to destroy it. :cross" "This gas cooker is childproof" or "This gas cooker has been childproofed".

My dad is pet-proofing the carpet = My dad is making the carpet resistant to pets.

My brother is helping me to cat-proof the furniture in the house = My brother is helping me to make the furniture in the house resistant to cats.

You had better buy Roofie a dog-proof toy = You had better buy Roofie a toy that cannot be damaged by dogs.

This item is completely adult-proof = This item can only be used by children or youngsters. (though illogical)

You should definitely rodent-proof your furniture = You should definitely prevent rodents from ruining your furniture.

What do you think of my examples?

Do they make sense?

Thank you.
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

JACEK1 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Given the sentence 2 about this gas cooker, does it mean that '-proofed' is used as past participle in the Passive Voice and expresses action (transformation of something into something else) whereas 'proof' expresses state?

andrewg927 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I actually think your example 2 is correct. It is more common to use "proof" as an adjective and "proofed" as passive voice but the meaning is the same.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

In "This gas cooker is childproof", for me, "childproof" is an adjective.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

JACEK1 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

I couldn't agree more.

andrewg927 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

We frequently make verbs adjectives by adding "ed" like "shocked" or "stunned". "I was shocked" to me doubles as verb and adjective.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

As they become more standard, they tend to lose the hyphen.

Skrej is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

However, in your example, I wouldn't consider a child-proofed gas cooker to mean children can't destroy it, as much I as I would take it to mean children can't hurt themselves by accessing it.

Usually when we child-proof something, it's either to keep children from tampering with it or opening it, and thereby hurting themselves. For example, households with infants who are starting to walk will child-proof any cabinets or drawers within reach so they can't be opened. Medicine bottles are child-proof (and unfortunately often adult-proof) so pills can't be ingested accidentally. Doors leading to stairwells are either latched close or have baby gates installed in them.

Child-proofing (or baby-proofing) can also involve putting rounded plastic or fabric edges on tables and walls with sharp edges or points that are at or below a toddler's height. Again, it's more about protecting the child than the object itself.

Something that is X-proofed certainly can mean immune from that X's damage (i.e. bear-proof garbage cans), but can also mean rigged to avoid X hurting itself. Context will tell.

Obviously, I'm not too worried about the bear hurting itself on my garbage can, but I am worried about the infant getting into the chemical cleaners stored under my sink.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

If anyone is silly enough to bring a child into my home, I can assure you I'm more concerned with the survival of my stuff than with the safety of the kid!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last