• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Some parents whose children have exceptional talents or interest in specific areas

Could you please check the following?

Some parents whose children have exceptional talents or interest in specific areas may be willing to teach them at home, believing that children cannot be really appreciated at school.

Thanks in advance.
    English is my great passion.

tedmc is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: Some parents whose children have exceptional talents or interest in specific area

I would delete "be willing to" and add "their" before children.
    I would say: their children's potential cannot be fully developed.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

ambitious-girl is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: Some parents whose children have exceptional talents or interest in specific area

Thanks Tedmc. But, when I ask someone to check my sentences, actually I want them to kindly check for any errors in structure, vocabulary or grammar. What I also want them to do is kindly make the least possible changes, because I would like to use the sentences that I create on my own and that I devote a lot of time, even for hours to rewrite. This makes me really feel happy when I see that all of my efforts work well. Like what RobertJ did. I really appreciate your help, though. I also have to say that If my sentences are far from natural English, I will be delighted to help me to make them sound more natural.
    Last edited by ambitious-girl; 21-Aug-2017 at 07:16.

tedmc is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

ambitious girl

You would have known by now, especially from the Writing and Editing section, that checking a piece of written work is not always just about checking for grammar mistakes. It may be free of grammar mistakes but may not be natural, logical, clear or plausible. In your sentences above, you said "parents believe that children (in general) cannot be really appreciated at school" sounds hardly plausible to me.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

ambitious-girl is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

It may be free of grammar mistakes but may not be natural, logical, clear or plausible.
    I said in my post #4 that I would be appreciate if you could help me to make my sentences more natural. However, RobertJ, as a native English speaker, told me that my sentences are OK. That's why I thought that my sentences were well-written and there was no need to make any changes.

In your sentences above, you said "parents believe that children (in general) cannot be really appreciated at school" sounds hardly plausible to me.
    I wrote "some parents" not all of them. However, If you think that it is not reasonable, I'll be willing to use your suggestion in my essay. Actually, what you wrote was really perfect and good. I have never used "potential" as a noun, so It was and still is new vocabulary for me. I like to use it. Thanks again for all of your help. I appreciate it. You should be so proud of yourself, as your English is really excellent.
    Last edited by ambitious-girl; 21-Aug-2017 at 10:05.