• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

how to express it - shyness

Hello all forum users!

I know a person who finds it hard to make friends with other people. He is not ill-disposed towards them but as soon as a new person appears in his group of acquaintaces, he seems to behave like a mannequin.
    Could I express such a thought by writing the following two sentences:

Because of total shyness, he almost always ends up showing a mean (unfriendly) face to new acquaintances when (he is) attempting to make friends with them.

Because of total shyness, he almost always gets off to a bad start with new people when (he is) attempting to make friends with them.
    What is your opinion?
    Thank you.
    Please do answer my question.

PLEASE

Should I construct the sentences in another way so that you can answer them?
    Last edited by JACEK1; 25-Aug-2017 at 15:17.

J&K Tutoring Guest

Re: how to express it - shyness

I think this is not the first time it has been suggested that you number your examples/questions/sentences!

It's always best to keep sentences short. His initial interaction with new acquaintances comes before he decides he wants to make friends, and he will get off to a bad start whether he wants to be friends or not.

1. He is so shy that he almost always ends up showing a mean (unfriendly) face to new acquaintances.

Because of his shyness, he almost always gets off to a bad start with new people.
    "Total shyness" is not a common phrase.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: how to express it - shyness

Making a mean, unfriendly face towards people isn't covered by "he seems to behave like a mannequin". If you tell me that's how someone behaves, I would assume that they stand completely still and unresponsive with a neutral look on their face.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.