Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentence is grammatically correct.

At the war veterans' protest, John, disappointed with the government, tore his bravery medal off his uniform and tossed it at the prime minister's office.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't use a hyphen there. It's just "war veteran" in BrE.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I wouldn't use a hyphen there. It's just "war veteran" in BrE.

In Canadian English and I expect American English hyphens are not used in this fashion either. I have seen Teechar make many such changes to my posts in this manner and I wish he would not do so.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
In Canadian English and I expect American English hyphens are not used in this fashion either.
I accept what you have to say, though I do not necessarily agree with it.

I have seen Teechar make many such changes to my posts in this manner and I wish he would not do so.
That, I do not accept. I will continue to make corrections to your (and anyone's) posts if I spot any mistakes.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That, I do not accept. I will continue to make corrections to your (and anyone's) posts if I spot any mistakes.

A mistake to you may not be a mistake to the writer. Please keep that in perspective.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Canadian English and I expect American English hyphens are not used in this fashion either.

I have never seen "war-veteran".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
A mistake to you may not be a mistake to the writer. Please keep that in perspective.
And please keep in perspective that the whole point of a forum is to be able to discuss a point and for members to make their own contributions. If you (or other members) disagree with my suggested edits/corrections, I'm quite happy to note any point raised.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At the war veterans' protest, ...

NOT A TEACHER

May I raise a point that may seem unimportant to most native speakers?
In American English, there has long been a trend to unclutter sentences with unnecessary apostrophes.

For example, I believe that many Americans nowadays would be more comfortable with sentence 3:

1. "We will celebrate Presidents' Day."
2. "We will celebrate President's Day."
3 "We will celebrate Presidents Day."

Thus, I believe that many Americans would prefer: "At the war veterans protest, Paul tore off his medal."

As you can see, the sentence does not have the clutter of an apostrophe. It looks much "cleaner." There is no unnecessary apostrophe to distract the reader's attention.

Last edited:

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And please keep in perspective that the whole point of a forum is to be able to discuss a point and for members to make their own contributions. If you (or other members) disagree with my suggested edits/corrections, I'm quite happy to note any point raised.

That's a given, isn't it? Lyxear apparently was irritated by your corrections as he politely asked you not to correct his posts. It's your prerogative as a mod to continue to make corrections to his or my or any other members' posts. It's your right. But just as I pointed a fact that "a mistake to me doesn't mean a mistake to the writer" I keep that in perspective for myself if I ever make corrections to anyone's posts. It was just a fact I pointed out since we can be overzealous and think we are right all the time and that applies to me whenever I make a contribution as well as I believe should be to anyone else. There's no need to get defensive. I wasn't attacking your knowledge or integrity. I politely asked you to consider my proposition and you have full authority to do what you think is right and productive.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm going to try to make a few things clear about how we moderators deal with posts. When a post by a learner contains errors, we (like other members) correct those errors and, if possible, explain our corrections.

Things change a little when we look at posts from native speakers and, more importantly, English teachers. When we see an error in a post by a non-teaching native speaker or a teacher, the first thing we do is try to work out if it is simply a typo. If it looks like it is, and it's the first time we've seen the error from that person, we tend to use the Edit Post facility and we fix the error on the poster's behalf.

It's when we start to see the same error(s) cropping up over and over in a native speaker/teacher's posts that we frequently choose to draw attention to the repetitive error and, yes, we do that publicly. We also explain that, as native speakers/teachers, there is a greater responsibility to get things right because learners tend to assume that everything teachers write is correct.

We are well aware that there are some areas in which what might appear to be an error to one person might not to another. There are variant/dialect differences, there are grey areas (like the use of hyphens in some contexts), there are even some generational differences. There are, however, errors that are simply errors, no matter who makes them. For example, any deviation from the oft-repeated list of "rules" (below) is considered an error.

- Capitalise the first word of every sentence.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Don't put a space either side of a slash mark.
- Don't put a space after opening quotation marks or an opening bracket.
- Don't put a space before closing quotation marks or a closing bracket.

Whenever native speakers/teachers repeatedly fail to follow those rules of written English (which apply, we believe, to all variants of English), we have to draw it to their attention. If they continue to make those errors, we have to consider whether their assistance on the forum is truly of benefit to learners.

We are equally well aware that any member is free to draw attention to any error made by a moderator.

We have one main aim on the forum - to teach learners grammatically correct, natural English. Let's remember that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.