English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I watched a documentary on an Indian actor. Who was active in 60's and 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Your version has lesser fewer words. You removed the redundant words.
    I did. However, do you understand why "Who was active in 60s and 70s" was wrong?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

2. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: I watched a documentary on an Indian actor. Who was active in 60's and 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I did. However, do you understand why "Who was active in 60s and 70s" was wrong?
    Because we have already specified who we are talking about. Besides it is a question as well. Am I correct?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

No. Neither of those is the reason. You posted five sentences at the start and I told you to condense them into two sentences. I didn't just do that so you used fewer words.

Let's try again. Do you think that "Who was active in 60s and 70s" (with a capital letter at the beginning and a full stop at the end) is a grammatically correct sentence? Forget about it being a question. It was not a question in your original paragraph and you didn't want it to be a question.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

4. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

No. Neither of those is the reason. You posted five sentences at the start and I told you to condense them into two sentences. I didn't just do that so you used fewer words.

Let's try again. Do you think that "Who was active in 60s and 70s" (with a capital letter at the beginning and a full stop at the end) is a grammatically correct sentence? Forget about it being a question. It was not a question in your original paragraph and you didn't want it to be a question.
    It shouldn't have been a stand alone sentence. It should have been the part of a bigger sentence. Am I correct?

Please help.
    Last edited by tufguy; 02-Sep-2017 at 09:51.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Yes!

6. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Yes!
    I watched a documentary on an Indian actor who was active in ​the 60's and 70's. He was a very good actor but he died at the early age of 47. He hadn't married anyone although he wanted to. He lead a secluded life. When I watched this documentary on him then I came to know why he had done that. It is said that in his entire family no male lived past the age of 50. There was one more interesting thing that whenever a boy reached at the age of ten his father died the same year (in his family). This had been happening for a long time and this kept him from marrying anyone. I don't know whether it was a curse or what.

Please check my sentences now.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 03-Sep-2017 at 00:28. Reason: Standardised font size across the post

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    He hadn't married anyone although he wanted to. (You can remove the word "anyone" with no loss of meaning.)

He lead a secluded life. "Lead" is not the simple past form of "lead".
    OK, so we've dealt with your paragraph up to the words "age of 47". See my comments above regarding the next two sentences.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

He led a secluded life.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Lucky you, tufguy. You've been handed the correction on a plate.

10. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Lucky you, tufguy. You've been handed the correction on a plate.
    He hadn't married although he wanted to. He led a secluded life.

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last