English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I watched a documentary on an Indian actor. Who was active in 60's and 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    When I watched this the documentary, on him then I came to know understood why. had he done that.
    OK, so we are on to your next sentence.

You didn't need to say "this documentary on him". You established in the first sentence that you were talking about a documentary about a specific person. We know what documentary you were watching.
    "Understand" is simpler and more natural than "come to know".
    You can't say "why he had done that" when you have just said that he specifically didn't​ do something (in this case, he didn't get married).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

2. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: I watched a documentary on an Indian actor. Who was active in 60's and 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post

You didn't need to say "this documentary on him". You established in the first sentence that you were talking about a documentary about a specific person. We know what documentary you were watching.
    You can't say "why he had done that" when you have just said that he specifically didn't​ do something (in this case, he didn't get married).
    Okay, "When I watched the documentary, I understood why."

3. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Are these sentences correct? "It is said that in his entire family no male lived past the age of 50. There was one more interesting thing that whenever a boy reached at the age of ten his father died the same year (in his family). This had been happening for a long time and this kept him from marrying anyone. I don't know whether it was a curse or what."

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    "It is said that in his entire family no male lived past the age of 50."
    By "It is said that", did you mean that the documentary provided that information? If so, it's the wrong phrase. "It is said that" means "Some/many/most people assert that". You don't attach it to a statement of fact. If it's true that no men in his family had ever lived beyond 50, then you don't need to add anything extra at the start. Just say "In his entire family, no male had lived past the age of 50".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

By "It is said that", did you mean that the documentary provided that information? If so, it's the wrong phrase. "It is said that" means "Some/many/most people assert that". You don't attach it to a statement of fact. If it's true that no men in his family had ever lived beyond 50, then you don't need to add anything extra at the start. Just say "In his entire family, no male had lived past the age of 50".

"It is said that in his entire family no male had lived past the age of 50. There was one more interesting thing that whenever a boy reached at the age of ten his father died the same year (in his family). This had been happening for a long time and this kept him from marrying anyone. I don't know whether it was a curse or what."

6. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Yes, by "it is said that" I meant people say this.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Did the documentary narrator say something like "It is said that no man in his family lived beyond the age of 50"? Or did the documentary narrator say "No man in his family lived beyond the age of 50"?
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 04-Sep-2017 at 12:53. Reason: Fixed typo

8. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

did the documentary narrator say "No man in his family lived beyond the age of 50"?
    Yes, narrator did. People say this as well.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 04-Sep-2017 at 12:53. Reason: Fixed typo in quote box

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Let's forget what "people say". You are writing about what you learnt from the documentary. You can simply say "No man in his entire family has ever lived past the age of 50."

Let's move on to the next sentence. You wrote "There was one more interesting thing that whenever a boy reached at the age of ten his father died the same year (in his family)."
    The beginning and end are too wordy. "There was one more interesting thing that ..." is not grammatical anyway.

I would write "Also, interestingly, all male children lost their father during the year of their tenth birthday."

10. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Let's forget what "people say". You are writing about what you learnt from the documentary. You can simply say "No man in his entire family has ever lived past the age of 50."

Let's move on to the next sentence. You wrote "There was one more interesting thing that whenever a boy reached at the age of ten his father died the same year (in his family)."
    The beginning and end are too wordy. "There was one more interesting thing that ..." is not grammatical anyway.

I would write "Also, interestingly, all male children lost their father during the year of their tenth birthday."
    "Also, interestingly, all male children lost their father (should it be 'father' or 'fathers' or both are correct?) during the year of their tenth birthday."

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last