Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Kazakh
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Hi everyone! I'm going to teach children (11-16 y.o.) as a tutor. And my course should include not only grammar but also speaking, listening and writing skills. So, I have looked through several books to choose the convenient one. But I'm still hesitating between New English File and New Total English! But the books are said to be adapted for adults, not for children. Now I would like to know if I can use them in teaching English to children? I found other books such as Headway, Face2 Face, Cutting Edge rather awkward and boring,

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why don't you look at books designed for young learners? They may be more engaging. You can use adult books with young learners, but they may contain things that are less interesting. There are plenty of books designed for this age group.

Last edited by a moderator:

rebintex

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Kazakh
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Why don't you look at books designed for young learners? They may be more engaging. You can use adult books with young learners, but they may contain things that are less interesting. There are plenty of books designed for this age group.
Thanks for response! Could you name some of the books designed for children?

sammol

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Germany
I teach English to children as an au pair/tutor and at the moment and I've noticed that the parents always insist on the ESL and Cambridge course books, for some reason. Maybe these are the main ones they've heard of! :-?

However, at the 11-16 stage one thing I would suggest is combining a traditional language lesson with another practical skill such as IT. Parents love it; at the age when kids are thinking about their career paths, this sort of dual-learning is very desirable. This site has a good introduction to natural language programming, which is basically the process of designing the language that computers understand... and in order to do so, programmers must have a deep understanding of grammar, morphology, syntax, etc.

In this way, it makes a great example about how the rules of a language form the foundations of every computer programme, every website, every piece of online data, and so on. It's very easy to relate a lesson about software programming back to language you've been teaching them in your class and the older kids will appreciate this different take on teaching, I find!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.