• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Pashto, Pushto
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

email allowed them to keep in touch with family more than contact by phone.

This is main sentence:

In several recent studies, for instance, Internet users reported that they kept in touch with siblings and other relatives several times a week and felt email allowed them to keep in touch with family more than contact by phone.

Are these two sentences OK too?

In several recent studies, for instance, Internet users reported that they kept in touch with siblings and other relatives several times a week and felt email allowed them to keep in touch with family more than contact by phone allowed them.

In several recent studies, for instance, Internet users reported that they kept in touch with siblings and other relatives several times a week and felt email allowed them to keep in touch with family more than contact by phone did.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 29-Aug-2017 at 10:56. Reason: Enlarged font

cameron206 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: email allowed them to keep in touch with family more than contact by phone.

I am not a teacher.
    I think the meaning come across just fine.

I do find myself wondering.. 'more what?" More easily? More frequently?

I think the implication is 'more frequently'. If so, I am not sure using 'keep in touch' is the best phrase. 'Keeping in touch' seems like a general state of affairs.. not something that I do seldom or frequently. On the other hand, if you mean more easily, I think 'keep in touch' is a great phrase.
    I think I would write one of these:

"Internet users reported that they communicated with siblings and other relatives several times a week and felt email allowed them to interact with family more frequently than contact by phone did."

OR

"Internet users reported that they communicated with siblings and other relatives several times a week and felt email allowed them to keep in touch with family more easily than contact by phone did."

J&K Tutoring Guest

Please number your sentences to make for easier reference by responders! The problem with all of your examples can perhaps be best understood by looking up the word more in your dictionary. Note the many, many ways we use the word more. Which usage of more is meant in each example? Are they all the same?

I have removed the duplicated parts of your sentences:

1. ...email allowed them to keep in touch with family more than contact by phone (allowed them/did allow them).
    2. ...email allowed them to keep in touch with family more than contact by phone allowed them.
    (allowed them = did allow them)
    3. ...email allowed them to keep in touch with family more than contact by phone did (allow them).

Really, these are all the same sentence, with some parts understood. The question is: What is meant by more? More often? More easily? With a better understanding?

newkeenlearner is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Pashto, Pushto
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The question is: What is meant by more? More often? More easily? With a better understanding?
    I think "more than" means "more often". For example, they have a contact by phone once a week, but three or fourth times a week they email.

Which usage of more is meant in each example? Are they all the same?
    Yes they are all the same.