• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

If there is a person named Jamie whose friend is getting married on this Wednesday

Hi, this question is regarding the tenses.

My question is "If there is a person named Jamie whose friend is getting married on this Wednesday but it is rather difficult for the for him to attend the ceremony so can he say "If the marriage had been on last Sunday, It would have been great" or " If the marriage had been on this Friday, It would have been great".

What tense should we be using here? I have used "Past perfect" but should we be using "Past simple" (If he was getting married on this Friday, that would be great") because the ceremony hasn't taken place yet? Do we need to use "Past perfect" for both Future imagination (If marriage had been on Friday") and Past (If the marriage had been on last Sunday) why?

Please please do not remove this question please.

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: If there is a person named Jamie whose friend is getting married on this Wednesda

Why not? It was debated extensively here and here.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: If there is a person named Jamie whose friend is getting married on this Wednesda

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    You are still complicating matters unnecessarily . Why don't you do as I have suggested elsewhere: forget these extra people. Talk about 'My friend ...'.

My friend is getting married on this Wednesday but it is rather difficult for me to attend the ceremony so can I say "If the marriage had been on last Sunday, It would have been great" or " If the marriage had been on this Friday, It would have been great".

What tense should we be using here? I have used "Past perfect" but should we be using "Past simple" (If he was getting married on this Friday, that would be great") because the ceremony hasn't taken place yet? Do we need to use "Past perfect" for both Future imagination (If marriage had been on Friday") and Past (If the marriage had been on last Sunday) why?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Why not? It was debated extensively here and here.
    I couldn't get the answer. I haven't been able to understand what tense should be used in this situation and why. On that other forum they just explain about "a word" or "phrasal verb". I hope that you can elaborate and explain it to me for once.

GoesStation is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    My friend is getting married on this Wednesday but it is rather difficult for me to attend the ceremony so can I say "If the marriage had been on last Sunday, It would have been great" or " If the marriage had been on this Friday, It would have been great".

Write ​My friend is getting married this Wednesday. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I could have attended last Sunday or this Friday.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Write ​My friend is getting married this Wednesday. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I could have attended last Sunday or this Friday.
    Sorry, but the question remains the same. I asked about the tenses. Okay, no problem thanks for your help and time.

Can I say "I could have attended the marriage, if it had been on 'last Sunday' or 'this Friday'?"

GoesStation is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Sorry, but the question remains the same. I asked about the tenses. Okay, no problem thanks for your help and time.

Can I say "I could have attended the marriage, if it had been on 'last Sunday' or 'this Friday'?"
    I think I understand the question now. Your use of tenses in that sentence is perfect. The punctuation has a problem, though: the single quotes are wrong. Leave them out and omit the word "on" and the whole sentence is natural and correct.

Do you see how much easier it was for me to answer the question when it consisted of a single, simple sentence?
    I am not a teacher.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I could have attended the marriage if it had been last Sunday. (if you remove the comma)
    I could have attended the marriage if it had been this Friday. You'll hear it but I prefer "I could attend the wedding if it were this Friday".

Are you aware that "this Friday" refers to the future?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

probus is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Regardless of your question about tenses, you need to get rid of the "on". Getting married this Wednesday is far more natural and common than "on this Wednesday".

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I could have attended the marriage if it had been last Sunday. (if you remove the comma)
    I could have attended the marriage if it had been this Friday. You'll hear it but I prefer "I could attend the wedding if it were this Friday".

Are you aware that "this Friday" refers to the future?
    Yes, I am aware. Thank you for replying. Now I have got the answer. Thank you very much you don't know what you have done for me. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last