they know that awareness is key to making a difference=they know the of difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

myenglishisterrible

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi, dear users.

There is something that is confusing me, and it concerns the bold sentence. I think it makes sense to include the rest of the paragraph for a better understanding, but you are welcome to skip it.

''On every corner of the Earth, we find individuals who sacrifice their time, money, and sometimes even their lives to save others. <...>Most importantly, modern heroes, just like fictional heroes, function through stories. They tell their tales in autobiographies or authors write non-fiction accounts of these heroes’ live.
People spread the stories of modern heroes because they know that awareness is key to making a difference."

Now, is the following statement false or true:

''Modern heroes know the key of difference.'' (This is not homework).

According to my English teacher, who isn't a native speaker, the sentence is false. Even though she's probably correct, this is confusing me. Maybe I'm just being stupid, and I'm sorry if that is the case.
Can ''[...] they know that awareness is key to making a difference.'' be interpreted as ''Modern heroes know the key of difference''? Why? Could the statement be true? Would you find it weird to consider it so?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello and welcome. :)
First, please always cite the source of any text you submit that's not written by you.
Second, I note that you've asked this same question elsewhere.

https://forum.wordreference.com/thr...reness-is-key-to-making-a-difference.3362348/

In future, please don't ask the same question simultaneously on more than one forum. That really wastes our time. Post your question to one forum and wait for some replies. If you're not happy with those, go to another forum, but clearly indicate (and provide a link) that you've asked the same thing elsewhere.

Hi Dear Users.

There is something that is confusing me, and it concerns [STRIKE], more specifically,[/STRIKE] the bold sentence below. I think it makes sense to include the rest of the paragraph for a better understanding, but you are welcome to skip it.

People
spread the stories of modern heroes because
they know that awareness is key to making a difference."

Now, is the following statement false or true?

''Modern heroes know the key of difference.'' (This is not homework).

According to my English teacher, who isn't a native speaker, the sentence is false. Even though she's probably correct, this is confusing me. Maybe I'm just being stupid, and I'm sorry if that is the case.
Your teacher is correct. Note how "spread the stories" matches with "awareness".

Status
Not open for further replies.