• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Appositives

An Introductory Series of Appositive. Example:The depressed, the stressed, the lonely, the fearful— all have trouble coping with problems. My doubt is on which basis "The depressed, the stressed, the lonely, the fearful" these words considered as appositives? Could anyone please clarify my doubt?

J&K Tutoring Guest

Re: Appositives

An appositive is a noun, a noun phrase, or a noun clause which sits next to another noun to rename it or to describe it in some other way.

With that understanding, only "the stressed, the lonely, the fearful" could be considered appositives for The depressed.

I think a better example of appositives would be something like: Certain people: the depressed, the stressed, the lonely, and the fearful, have trouble coping with problems. Now we have the depressed, the stressed, the lonely, and the fearful as appositives for people.

Check Bassim's post below about Bob, a tomcat for a good example of an appositive.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 05-Sep-2017 at 10:04. Reason: Reduced font size in final sentence because bottoms of letters were missing

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

If that's an introductory series, it isn't very good IMO.

Nanu1 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Unhappy Re: Appositives

When I was reading about Sentence Patterns I got doubt on this. So in Pattern 6: An Introductory Series of Appositive. Example:The depressed, the stressed, the lonely, the fearful—all have trouble coping with problems. Pattern 7: An Internal Series of Appositives or Modifiers. Example: Basic writing skills--good vocabulary, knowledge of grammar, sense of style--can be learned by almost everyone. So could you please answer to my question now? If they are not appositives then why that author written those type of sentences?? So here which is right answer? the author is or the one who answers here are right?? but if you browse on that topic you will get lot of same matter in internet so, which I has to believe?

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by Nanu1 View Post
    When I was reading about Sentence Patterns I got doubt on confused by this:

Pattern 6: An Introductory Series of Appositive. Example:The depressed, the stressed, the lonely, the fearful—all have trouble coping with problems.
    Pattern 7: An Internal Series of Appositives or Modifiers. Example: Basic writing skills--good vocabulary, knowledge of grammar, sense of style--can be learned by almost everyone.
    Who is the author of the text you have quoted?

So Could you please answer to my question now?
    If they are not appositives, then why has that author written those type of sentences??

So here which Who has given the right answer – the author is or the one who answered here? are right?? but if you browse on that topic you will get lot of same matter in internet so, which I has

​Who have I to believe?
    I have corrected the many mistakes you have made in your post. Please tell us who wrote the text you have quoted, and why you are worried about appositives—an aspect of grammar which even advanced students of the language don't need to know the name of.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 06-Sep-2017 at 08:13.

Matthew Wai is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

I did not know the name either until I read the following, which might be worth the OP's reference.
    http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/appositive.htm
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    I have corrected the many mistakes you have made in your post. Please tell us who wrote the text you have quoted, and why you are worried about appositives—an aspect of grammar which even advanced students of the language don't need to know the name of.
    The art of styling sentences : 20 patterns for success by Ann Longknife,. K.D. Sullivan and The Art of Styling Sentences: 20 Patterns for Success. by. Marie L. Waddell. Robert M. Esch. Roberta R. Walker. Actually I am not a native speaker and I learned English as my second language so I just curious about usage of this language. When I searched about sentence patterns I found this kind of sentences. After reading these patterns, really, I am totally confused in pattern 6 and 7. These pattrens are about appositives only.

Pattern 6: An introductory series of appositives followed by a dash, a summarizing word that may be the subject, and a verb.

Examples: Vanity, greed, corruption—which serves as the novel’s source of conflict?
    Bull riding, camel races, bronco riding, and roping—these events mean “rodeo” to many people.
    The Mona Lisa, Michelangelo’s David, the frescoes in the Sistine Chapel—many are the wonders of the Renaissance in Italy.

Pattern 7:An internal series of appositives or modifiers enclosed by a pair of dashes or parentheses.

Examples:The necessary qualities for political life—guile, ruthlessness, and garrulity he has learned from his father.
    The much-despised predators—mountain lions, timber wolves, and grizzly bears—have been shot trapped, and poisoned so relentlessly for so long that they have nearly vanished from their old haunts.
    The basic fencing moves (the advance, the retreat, the lunge) demand careful balance by both fencers.
    Last edited by Nanu1; 06-Sep-2017 at 16:32.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    I did not know the name either until I read the following, which might be worth the OP's reference.
    http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/appositive.htm
    I have already known about appositives.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by J&K Tutoring View Post
    An appositive is a noun, a noun phrase, or a noun clause which sits next to another noun to rename it or to describe it in some other way.

With that understanding, only "the stressed, the lonely, the fearful" could be considered appositives for The depressed.

I think a better example of appositives would be something like: Certain people: the depressed, the stressed, the lonely, and the fearful, have trouble coping with problems. Now we have the depressed, the stressed, the lonely, and the fearful as appositives for people.

Check Bassim's post below about Bob, a tomcat for a good example of an appositive.
    I think the answer what you gave is wrong?!!

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You should set this subject aside and concentrate on other areas of English writing. Appositives, compound possessives, em dashes, Oxford commas -- these are all advanced subjects which should be studied only after completely mastering the many more-common grammar issues that give learners trouble.
    I am not a teacher.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last