• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I have never seen my cousin getting angry ever since I knew him

Can we say "I have never seen my cousin getting angry ever since I knew him"?

tedmc is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: I have never seen my cousin getting angry ever since I knew him

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Can we say "I have never seen my cousin getting angry ever since I knew him"?
    It does not sound logical to me because cousins would normally know each other from an early age, unlike friends who get to know each other later in life
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Well, you could hardly have seen him get angry before you knew him! Forget the whole second half.

I have never seen my cousin get angry.
    I have never seen my cousin angry.
    I have never seen my cousin getting angry. (The use of "getting" is the least natural of the three.)
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Matthew Wai is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

I would say 'since I got to know him' instead of 'since I knew him' if the clause was not omitted.

Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    It does not sound logical to me because cousins would normally know each other from an early age, unlike friends who get to know each other later in life
    I have a cousin born in a Western country. We did not know each other until he came to my country.
    I am not a teacher.

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

During my adolescence I got to know one cousin after another as they arrived in my country from Russia and Israel.
    I am not a teacher.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Regardless of when the OP first met his/her cousin, it is still redundant to say "since I've known him" (which would be the grammatical version of "ever since I knew him"). The OP can only have seen his cousin do, or not do, anything since they first met. It's impossible for the OP to make any comments about what he saw before he met the cousin.

The statement would have more impact if we knew how long they have known each other.

I have known my cousin for 27 years and I have never seen him get angry! (Quite impressive.)
    I have known my cousin for one month and I have never seen him get angry. (Definitely not impressive.)
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Regardless of when the OP first met his/her cousin, it is still redundant to say "since I've known him" (which would be the grammatical version of "ever since I knew him"). The OP can only have seen his cousin do, or not do, anything since they first met. It's impossible for the OP to make any comments about what he saw before he met the cousin.

The statement would have more impact if we knew how long they have known each other.

I have known my cousin for 27 years and I have never seen him get angry! (Quite impressive.)
    I have known my cousin for one month and I have never seen him get angry. (Definitely not impressive.)
    "I have never seen my friend getting angry ever since I knew him" okay so this construction doesn't work even if we are talking about a friend. Am I correct?

Regardless of when the OP first met his/her cousin, it is still redundant to say "since I've known him" (which would be the grammatical version of "ever since I knew him").
    You are saying "Since I have known him" is the grammatical version but after since we use "past simple". Am I correct? Like "I haven't seen him since we left school". In a thread I also asked about using "present perfect" after since in these kinds of sentences but I was told it was wrong but now you are saying it is not.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 07-Sep-2017 at 07:23. Reason: Fixed second quote box