• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

whatever or whichever?

I came across a passage part of which go as follows:" About 150 books sit on shelves in the phone box. Villages there can take whatever they want and leave their own books in exchange." My question is whether " Villagers can take whichever they want" is acceptable here. Or should we say "... take whichever book(s) they want" ? I'm really confused . Any reply will be appreciated. Thank you all.
    Last edited by on the way; 10-Sep-2017 at 10:11.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: whatever or whichever?

Quote Originally Posted by on the way View Post
    I came across a passage, part of which goes as follows: (space after a colon) "About 150 books sit on shelves in the phone box. Villages there can take whatever they want and leave their own books in exchange." My question is whether "Villagers can take whichever they want" is acceptable here. Or should we say "... take whichever book(s) they want"? I'm really confused. Any reply will be appreciated. Thank you all.
    See above.

"Villagers can take whichever [book(s)] they want" works too. In fact, it's probably better than "whatever". A pedant might take "whatever" to mean that they can take the shelves, the door, the sign ...!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.