• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Is Angela Merkel loosing the forthcoming election?

I am more than unsure about the order of phrases in the following sentence.
    So I think it's best to ask my English experts.
    1. Something extraordinary must happen that Angela Merkel is to lose the forthcoming election.
    Have also a look at some of my alternative sentences. Are they all correct?
    2. Something extraordinary must happen that Angela Merkel is going to lose forthcoming the forthcoming election.
    3. Something extraordinary must happen that Angela Merkel will lose the forthcoming election.

J&K Tutoring Guest

Re: Is Angela Merkel loosing the forthcoming election?

Is Angela Merkel loosing the forthcoming election? Be aware of the difference between lose and loose! This mistake is common among native speakers. You use the correct word in your examples.

The first problem with all your examples is the incorrect use of that. Angela Merkel's loss is not certain, so the word if is very useful:

1. Something extraordinary must happen that if Angela Merkel is to lose the forthcoming election.
    2. Something extraordinary must happen that if Angela Merkel is going to lose forthcoming the forthcoming election.
    3. Something extraordinary must happen that Angela Merkel will lose the forthcoming election. By using will, you make her loss certain. Since the election is in the future, there must be uncertain words. The best way to fix this sentence is to delete it and use one of your other, better, examples.

Both your #1 and #2 are okay as corrected, but not the best. They both sound as if Ms. Merkel wants to lose. I suggest:

For Angela Merkel to lose the forthcoming election, something extraordinary must happen.

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Is Angela Merkel loosing the forthcoming election?

I find this much more natural: Something extraordinary will have to happen for Angela Merkel to lose the upcoming election.
    I am not a teacher.