• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

The internet providing companies do not provide as much of the internet as they promi

1) The internet providing companies do not provide as much of the internet as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 6 GB of internet data but customer gets 5.5 GB only.).

2) The internet providing companies do not provide as much speed of the internet as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 20 MBPS of internet speed but customer gets 12 MBPS of speed only.).

Please check my sentences.

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The internet providing companies do not provide as much of the internet as they p

These companies are usually called internet service providers. I have two lines providing 3 Mbps (mega-bits per second; don't write "MB", which means "megabytes") of bandwidth and one wireless modem providing as much as 28 Mbps.
    I am not a teacher.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: The internet providing companies do not provide as much of the internet as they p

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    These companies are usually called internet service providers. I have two lines providing 3 Mbps (mega-bits per second; don't write "MB", which means "megabytes") of bandwidth and one wireless modem providing as much as 28 Mbps.
    How about my sentences?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Replace "internet providing companies" with the phrase I suggested. Replace "as much of the internet" and "internet speed" with the word I suggested. Change the abbreviation as I suggested.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Replace "internet providing companies" with the phrase I suggested. Replace "as much of the internet" and "internet speed" with the word I suggested. Change the abbreviation as I suggested.
    1) The internet service providers do not provide as much of the internet as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 6 GB of internet data but customer gets 5.5 GB only.).

2) The internet service providers do not provide as much speed of the internet as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 20 MBPS of internet speed but customer gets 12 MBPS of speed only.).

I don't understand what do I need to replace "as much of the internet" and "internet speed" with? Could you please elaborate?

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

provide as much of the internet as they promise
    This doesn't work for me. They do provide as much of the internet as they promise in terms of accessing sites, but do not allow you the all the data they promise.

I would use something like the following:

ISPs do not supply as much as they promise.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The part of the service your sentences are about is the bandwidth. ISPs provide a little less bandwidth than they advertise.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

The part of the service your sentences are about is the bandwidth. ISPs provide a little less bandwidth than they advertise.
    1) The internet service providers do not provide as much bandwidth as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 6 GB of internet data but customer gets 5.5 GB only.).

2) The internet service providers do not provide as much bandwidth as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 20 MBPS of internet speed but customer gets 12 MBPS of speed only.).

Are these sentences correct now? But what does "bandwidth" mean here? It is equivalent to the speed and to the data as well. How can we differentiate between speed and data?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    1) The internet service providers do not provide as much bandwidth as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 6 GB of internet data but customer gets 5.5 GB only.).

2) The internet service providers do not provide as much bandwidth as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 20 MBPS of internet speed but customer gets 12 MBPS of speed only.).

Are these sentences correct now? But what does "bandwidth" mean here? It is equivalent to the speed and to the data as well. How can we differentiate between speed and data?
    Unless you previously mentioned the ISPs you're writing about, drop the definite article from the beginning of both sentences.

Bandwidth refers to speed. ISPs always note that the advertised speed is the maximum and actual performance may be less.

I missed something from the first parenthetical statement. Sentence 1 accuses the companies of outright fraud: they're promising to deliver up to 6 GB of data per billing period, but capping the delivery at 5.5 GB. You can write ISPs don't provide as much data as they promise.

(Some people like to insist that data​ is always plural. This sentence is a good example of why they're wrong. )
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
    Your definition of 'bandwidth' is not the conventional definition....

Incidentally, upload speeds are always slower than download speeds.
    Home internet service is usually asymmetrical (i.e., download speeds are much faster than upload speeds). This is not necessarily the case with commercial service. I just ran a speedtest at my office and found that my upload speed was a little faster: 90 Mbps versus 87.5 Mbps down.

In the internet context, bandwidth means the amount of information per unit of time that the connection can move.
    I am not a teacher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last