• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

they may resist losing that identity in favor of one based on a tourism industry

Hello, this is the text that was on my English test.
    I want to know if I understood the underlined part correctly. I replaced the "in favor of" with "over" when I was reading this because it seemed that the place identity is the opposite of tourism industry in this context. I'm not so sure if I got it, though, because this sentence itself was kind of confusing.

The narratives that people create to understand their landscapes come to be viewed as marketable entities and a source of income for residents. Landscapes with a strong place identity have an advantage in marketing to tourists, as it is relatively easy to compartmentalize and market their narratives. Such places may have disadvantages as well,however. If place identity is tied to a particular industry, local residents may feel strongly attached to the definitions of place that stem from involvement in that industry, and they may resist losing that identity in favor of one based on a tourism industry. People rooted in landscape may feel strong connections to other community members and may resent the invasion of outsiders who they believe are different and challenge their common identity. Finally, local residents may feel that this process reduces their identities to mere commercial transactions, and they may believe they sacrifice what is unique and special about their place.
    Last edited by JiwonAsaCheon; 14-Sep-2017 at 14:49. Reason: separating the un-separated words
    Don't hesitate to correct me if I make mistakes.

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: they may resist losing that identity in favor of one based on a tourism industry

First, please use Edit Post to separate with a space the pairs of words which have been run together by the copy and paste process., followed by Save.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 17-Sep-2017 at 16:54.

teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: they may resist losing that identity in favor of one based on a tourism industry

I don't like either "in favour of" or "over" in that sentence. Try substituting "and having it replaced by".
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 17-Sep-2017 at 16:54. Reason: Replaced title with new one

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I have changed your thread title. Titles should include some/all of the words/sentences you're asking us about.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

JiwonAsaCheon is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    I don't like either "in favour of" or "over" in that sentence. Try substituting "and having it replaced by".
    That makes more sense! Thank you. Yes, that was what I was aiming for, too, but I couldn't find the right words. :)
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 17-Sep-2017 at 16:55. Reason: New title

JiwonAsaCheon is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re:they may resist losing that identity in favor of one based on a tourism industry

I have one more question: Do these phrases exist? I think not, but I wasn't sure.
    lose A over B
    win A over B

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by JiwonAsaCheon View Post
    I have one more question: Do these phrases exist? I think not, but I wasn't sure.
    lose A over B
    win A over B
    No, they don't exist.

At a push, you could use "Team A have won six games over team B" but "against" would be the common term. You definitely can't "lose over" someone else.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by JiwonAsaCheon View Post
    lose A over B
    win A over B
    Those kinds of structures are possible in limited contexts.

For example,
    He was a professional gambler, and he won that money over a period of six months.

I know you're quite worried, but I honestly wouldn't lose sleep over it if I were you.
    http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionar...over-something
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 17-Sep-2017 at 16:56. Reason: New title