• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

If I am having a word over the phone with someone and that person is saying something but I don't hear him because I was having a word with my mother while he was speaking but I did overheard few words because I had taken off my headphones so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard few words but I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said."

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

You have a strange liking for the phrase "to have a word with" when, most of the time, you just need the word "talk". That's the case here. Your first sentence takes up the first two lines and the next four words of the next line! That's far too long!
    "Whole thing" isn't natural there. Use "everything".

Now - rewrite your piece taking all of that into account.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I don't think it's relevant whether you heard a word or two. Simply ask them to say it again. When you start saying that you heard a few words, are you going to say them so that your friend can leave them out when they say it again? You're giving out too much information that has little or no relevance. Pardon would be enough, or I couldn't hear/catch you, could you say that again?

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    ... I did overheard few words because I had taken off my headphones so can I say....
    Tufguy, you forgot the lessons we recently gave you about the two items I underlined and marked in red.
    I am not a teacher.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    You have a strange liking for the phrase "to have a word with" when, most of the time, you just need the word "talk". That's the case here. Your first sentence takes up the first two lines and the next four words of the next line! That's far too long!
    "Whole thing" isn't natural there. Use "everything".

Now - rewrite your piece taking all of that into account.
    If I am talking to someone and that person is saying something but I don't hear him because I was taking to my mother while he was speaking but I did overhear a few words because I had taken my headphones off so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard a few words but I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said."

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If I am talking to someone and that person is saying something but I don't hear him because I was taking to my mother while he was speaking but I did overhear a few words because I had taken my headphones off so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard a few words but I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said."
    I read the first twenty words or so before giving up on that first sentence. Please revise it. Keep working on it until you can say what you want to in one or two sentences of eighteen words or less each.
    I am not a teacher.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

In addition to GoesStation's comments, I already told you in post #2 to use "everything" instead of "whole thing". Why did you use "the whole thing" again in post #5?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In addition to GoesStation's comments, I already told you in post #2 to use "everything" instead of "whole thing". Why did you use "the whole thing" again in post #5?
    I was talking to someone but I didn't hear everything they said but I overheard a few words because I had taken off the headphones so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard a few words but I couldn't hear "everything" that you said."

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I read the first twenty words or so before giving up on that first sentence. Please revise it. Keep working on it until you can say what you want to in one or two sentences of eighteen words or less each.
    I was talking to someone but I didn't hear everything they said but I overheard a few words because I had taken off the headphones so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard a few words but I couldn't hear "everything" that you said."

teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

I was talking to someone on the phone, but I didn't hear everything they said. but I only over heard ["Overhear" has a completely different meaning.] a few words because I had taken off the headphones hands-free, so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard a few words, but [Don't use "but" in conjunction with "although". "Although" already has a "but" built into it.] I couldn't hear "everything" (that) you said."
    See above. You can also say "... repeat that" to avoid repetition in that sentence. Also, consider omitting "because I wasn't listening" from your sentence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last