Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6,347

    I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

    If I am having a word over the phone with someone and that person is saying something but I don't hear him because I was having a word with my mother while he was speaking but I did overheard few words because I had taken off my headphones so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard few words but I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said."

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    62,354

    Re: I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

    You have a strange liking for the phrase "to have a word with" when, most of the time, you just need the word "talk". That's the case here. Your first sentence takes up the first two lines and the next four words of the next line! That's far too long!
    "Whole thing" isn't natural there. Use "everything".

    Now - rewrite your piece taking all of that into account.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    75,131

    Re: I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

    I don't think it's relevant whether you heard a word or two. Simply ask them to say it again. When you start saying that you heard a few words, are you going to say them so that your friend can leave them out when they say it again? You're giving out too much information that has little or no relevance. Pardon would be enough, or I couldn't hear/catch you, could you say that again?

  4. #4
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    ... I did overheard few words because I had taken off my headphones so can I say....
    Tufguy, you forgot the lessons we recently gave you about the two items I underlined and marked in red.
    I am not a teacher.

  5. #5
    tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6,347

    Re: I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    You have a strange liking for the phrase "to have a word with" when, most of the time, you just need the word "talk". That's the case here. Your first sentence takes up the first two lines and the next four words of the next line! That's far too long!
    "Whole thing" isn't natural there. Use "everything".

    Now - rewrite your piece taking all of that into account.
    If I am talking to someone and that person is saying something but I don't hear him because I was taking to my mother while he was speaking but I did overhear a few words because I had taken my headphones off so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard a few words but I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said."

  6. #6
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    If I am talking to someone and that person is saying something but I don't hear him because I was taking to my mother while he was speaking but I did overhear a few words because I had taken my headphones off so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard a few words but I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said."
    I read the first twenty words or so before giving up on that first sentence. Please revise it. Keep working on it until you can say what you want to in one or two sentences of eighteen words or less each.
    I am not a teacher.

  7. #7
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    62,354

    Re: I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

    In addition to GoesStation's comments, I already told you in post #2 to use "everything" instead of "whole thing". Why did you use "the whole thing" again in post #5?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  8. #8
    tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6,347

    Re: I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In addition to GoesStation's comments, I already told you in post #2 to use "everything" instead of "whole thing". Why did you use "the whole thing" again in post #5?
    I was talking to someone but I didn't hear everything they said but I overheard a few words because I had taken off the headphones so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard a few words but I couldn't hear "everything" that you said."

  9. #9
    tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6,347

    Re: I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I read the first twenty words or so before giving up on that first sentence. Please revise it. Keep working on it until you can say what you want to in one or two sentences of eighteen words or less each.
    I was talking to someone but I didn't hear everything they said but I overheard a few words because I had taken off the headphones so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard a few words but I couldn't hear "everything" that you said."

  10. #10
    teechar's Avatar
    teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    11,611

    Re: I couldn't hear the "whole thing" that you said.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    I was talking to someone on the phone, but I didn't hear everything they said. but I only over heard ["Overhear" has a completely different meaning.] a few words because I had taken off the headphones hands-free, so can I say "Could you please repeat what you said because I wasn't listening? Although I heard a few words, but [Don't use "but" in conjunction with "although". "Although" already has a "but" built into it.] I couldn't hear "everything" (that) you said."
    See above. You can also say "... repeat that" to avoid repetition in that sentence. Also, consider omitting "because I wasn't listening" from your sentence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •