Member Type
Other
Native Language
Fiji
Home Country
Fiji
Current Location
Fiji
Some of the languages sound and flow better than others, like for example, Germany. Dan and English also, sometimes from the mouth of someone, sound awful, whereas there are some nice old language like Russian, France, and Arabic they have their sound of totally different and sometimes could hear them flowing with very lyrical voice

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That sort of judgement is entirely subjective. The languages you say are mellifluous might sound different to speakers from very different language families. Does any language not flow very well? If not, how is connected speech possible?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some [STRIKE]of the[/STRIKE] languages sound and flow better than others (no comma here) [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] - for example, [STRIKE]Germany[/STRIKE] German.

Dan (that's not a language. Did you mean Danish?) and English also, [STRIKE]sometimes from the mouth of someone[/STRIKE] when some people speak them, sound awful, whereas there are some nice old languages like Russian, [STRIKE]France[/STRIKE] French (no comma here) and Arabic. They [STRIKE]have their[/STRIKE] sound [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] totally different and sometimes [STRIKE]could hear[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] they [STRIKE]flowing[/STRIKE] flow with a very lyrical voice.

See my corrections above. It's important to learn the difference between the names of countries and the names of languages.

As Tdol said, it's a very subjective matter. People have very different opinions on how they think languages sound.

Humbertti

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Fiji
Home Country
Fiji
Current Location
Fiji
Yes, You are right 'people have very different opinions on how they think languages sound', but it was my opinion. By the way, there are very few to speak and write the standard language, for example, the radio and the tv, how the people speak in them?
Thanks for the reply

Humbertti

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Fiji
Home Country
Fiji
Current Location
Fiji
Sorry, but it is no so subjective matter. For, Many have such a belief that to speaking of a language, it must sound like a native. And how speak the majority of the native. In every country and in every nation. There is a phenomenon, it's much similar occur between the identical twin.

davidhibner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it's just a stereotype that influenced you. Each language is beautiful in its own way. Many people just absorb the information from mass media and start thinking in the same way. Also, I believe it's a subjective thing because "many men many minds" and each of us thinks differently.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Many have such a belief that to speaking of a language, it must sound like a native.

I think that this is a mistaken belief, though not in the original statement. If you can make yourself understood in the language you are learning, you're speaking well enough for me. I am currently learning Lao; if I spent a hundred years learning it, I wouldn't sound like a native, but they understand me at the market when I am buying things. That's what I need.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't. I'm already using my brain for something else so ...

Humbertti

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Fiji
Home Country
Fiji
Current Location
Fiji
I know, I know you are educated and polished like hell, and cry out at once you opinions concerning to every misspelling and grammatical mistakes.
What I mean by ' flowing of the words', It means, that you can learn and study your grammar all your life, and becomes the master of grammar, however not able to get the words sing. If you haven't certain talent and experience to keep the things alive. The same could occur among the singers, no matter how long you have studied your music and its theory, you cannot come anywhere, but just to the theoretical music, if you haven't your voice

Status
Not open for further replies.