Member Type
Other
Native Language
Fiji
Home Country
Fiji
Current Location
Fiji
Once, many years ago, actually it was the first day of October after the collapse of the soviet union 1991, I had been living for a while with my wife in Tallin, the Capital city of Estonia.
At that time there was turmoil and insecurity, and the daying of the economy had hardened hamppering the everyday life. The whole eastern Europe was more or less in the same state, causing the collapse of the communism and the Soviet Union.
Also, the worsened boundary between Russian-speaking and the Estonia speaking people could be heard and seen, it occurred in the markets and in the street and every day the consulate of Finland looked much in the same fashion as the American Embassy in Saigon after the collapse of the Vietnam regime, overcrowded by the visa seekers.
Where Vietnamese wanted to go to America - Estonians wanted to go over the Gulf to Finland, both driving by the same spirit- the capitalism, the American dream:- getting ahead, to have better flat, and to have a car- wester fashioned car and western fashioned stuff of any sort, before all to have hard currency.
The Russian-speaking inhabitants weren't very popular- they were seen to be guilty of this regression and they felt down and out.
There was ingerian population among the Russian and Estonian, they were so-called Russian Finn, Finish origin peasants; who were driven from Finland to Russia couple of hundred years ago, now feeling privileged and proud to be Finnish origin they loudly declared everyone how they have suffered under the Soviet regime, discriminated for their origin, they wanted to show their privileges for everyone. We were travelling aboard the ferry Linda from
Tallin over the Gulf to Helsinki. The passengers aboard were Russian and Estonian. Many of them were quiet and excited, making their first voyage to abroad.
There was a bunch of women at a table and I could overhear a loud conversation spoken in Finnish language, the protagonist being an ingerian woman. They drank a lot and talked much, and suddenly there was a high-pitched voice, carried from a corner to corner in the sitting saloon:
"Jest Ruskijee na karple"!! "Any Russian aboard!? The voice belonged to the drinking ingeria woman who was called out this unexpected and deep disturbing calling.
There was no answer, the Russian passengers sat quietly feeling be hurt by this drunken woman.
IT was the year

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Once, many years ago, I witnessed an incident which I'll never forget. Actually it was the first day of October after the collapse of the Soviet Union 1991. I had been living for a while with my wife in Tallin, the Capital city of Estonia.
At that time there was turmoil and insecurity, and the [STRIKE]daying of the economy[/STRIKE] economic crisis had worsened, [STRIKE]hardened[/STRIKE] hampering [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] everyday life. The whole of Eastern Europe was more or less in the same state, [STRIKE]causing[/STRIKE] which led to the collapse of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] communism and the Soviet Union.
Also, the [STRIKE]worsened boundary[/STRIKE] heightened tension between the Russian-speaking people and the Estonian speaking people could be easily felt/discerned. [STRIKE]heard and seen,[/STRIKE] It occurred in the markets and in the streets, and every day the consulate of Finland looked much [STRIKE]in the same fashion as[/STRIKE] like the American Embassy had done in Saigon after the collapse of the South Vietnamese regime, [STRIKE]overcrowded by the[/STRIKE] crowded to overflowing with visa seekers.
Whereas the Vietnamese wanted to go to America, the Estonians wanted to go over the Gulf to Finland, both [STRIKE]driving[/STRIKE] driven by the same spirit- the capitalistic [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] American dream: getting ahead, owning a better home, [STRIKE]to have better flat,[/STRIKE] and [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] having a car, a Western [STRIKE]fashioned[/STRIKE] car and Western-style [STRIKE]fashioned[/STRIKE] stuff of any sort, before all to have hard currency.

The Russian-speaking inhabitants weren't very popular- they were [STRIKE]seen to be guilty of this regression[/STRIKE] blamed for the poor state of the country, and they felt down and out.
There was the Ingerian population [STRIKE]among[/STRIKE] alongside the Russians and Estonians, and they were so-called Russian Finnspeasants of Finish origin [STRIKE]peasants;[/STRIKE] who were driven from Finland to Russia a couple of hundred years ago. Now feeling privileged and proud to be of Finnish origin, they loudly declared to everyone how they [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] had suffered under the Soviet regime and discriminated against for their origin, they wanted to show their privileges for everyone. We were travelling aboard the ferry Linda from Tallin over the Gulf to Helsinki. The passengers aboard were Russian and Estonian. Many of them were quiet [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] but excited, making their first voyage [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] abroad.
There was a bunch of women at a table, and I could overhear a loud conversation (spoken) in Finnish, [STRIKE]language,[/STRIKE] one of the protagonists being an Ingerian woman. They drank a lot and talked much, and suddenly there was a high-pitched voice, carried from corner to corner in the sitting saloon:
"Jest Ruskijee na karple?!" "Any Russians aboard?!" The voice belonged to the drinking Ingeria woman. She was the one who [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] called out this unexpected and deeply disturbing question. [STRIKE]calling.[/STRIKE]
There was no answer. The Russian passengers sat quietly, feeling [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] hurt by this drunken woman.
It was the year 1991.
I don't understand the text in blue.

Humbertti

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Fiji
Home Country
Fiji
Current Location
Fiji
Thanks a lot for your editing. the blue: They wanted everybody knows, that they belong to Finland and so the felt being privileged. also there occur mistake, It should be "decaying", of the economy*,
also, 'backed' with the visa seekers, those small alterations may improve the style

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could do this:

- Say: . . . and, more than anything, to have hard currency.

- Put a period after "origin," then say: They wanted to show their new freedoms to everyone they met.

Would that work better for you?

Humbertti

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Fiji
Home Country
Fiji
Current Location
Fiji
Hello, sorry I have been out so long. Thanks, and nice to hear from you

Status