• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

When I was ill doctors asked me not to try to lie down/ get in on my bed fully erect.

When I was ill doctors asked me not to try to lie down on/ get in my bed fully erect. They asked me to first slowly sit on the edge of the bed and then try to lie down (can I say get down) slowly sideways (even if they hadn't asked me to do, I would have done the same because I didn't have any other option).

Please check my sentences.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 20-Sep-2017 at 08:05. Reason: Changing to 'lay' to 'lie'.

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: When I was ill doctors asked me not to try to lie down/ get in on my bed fully er

It might be as well to avoid 'fully erect' — I've noticed some smirking at the back there.

probus is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: When I was ill doctors asked me not to try to lie down/ get in on my bed fully er

Doctors asked me not to lie down on my bed (or get into my bed) from the fully erect position. They asked me first to sit down and then try to lie down. In other words, they advised me to take it in stages. In this context I think get down is acceptable as an alternative to lie down. From a sitting position it is much easier to lie on one's side than to go directly onto one's back.

Take it from one who has a lot of unhappy experience in this field, but is currently feeling okay.
    Last edited by probus; 20-Sep-2017 at 02:24.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    It might be as well to avoid 'fully erect' — I've noticed some smirking at the back there.
    Smirking? That's what we used to do behind the bike sheds! Amongst other things. Which brings us back to the phrase in question.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.