Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have tried to use "lick sb's boots" in my sentence. Would you please correct my mistakes?

Marina's colleague asked her when she was going to stop licking their boss' boots and stand up to him. Marina replied she despised herself because of her cowardice but she needed her job desperately.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Lick sb's boots

It should be boss's boots. It's pronounced the same as "bosses".

Maybe that expression is common in British English. It just makes me imagine poor Marina actually licking the boots her boss is wearing - yuck!

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden

GoesStation,

Just a question.
If I write my second sentence like this and use "being" would it be better than my original one?

Marina replied she despised herself for being a coward, but she needed her job desperately.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

If I write my second sentence like this and use "being" would it be better than my original one?

Marina replied she despised herself for being a coward, but she needed her job desperately.

Here's the original sentence:
Marina replied she despised herself because of her cowardice but she needed her job desperately.

They both need "that" after replied.​ I didn't notice earlier. With that amendment, either sentence is OK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I'd put "desperately" before "needed her job".
"Licking ... boots" is fine in BrE. It's cleaner than the alternative, but much-used, "licking ... a*se". We also have the delightful term "to brown-nose".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It took me a while but I finally remembered the usual American equivalent: to kiss someone's feet. We have the same somewhat vulgar version except we use our variant of the name of the bit of the anatomy it invokes.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hmm, the expression 'boot-licking' is pretty well-known in AmE, as well, at least where I'm from. There's even the noun form, a boot-licker. I have heard of 'kissing someone's boot', but not their 'foot'.

In my opinion, the related term 'lickspittle' is woefully underutilized. I champion its cause, to little (no, if we're being honest) avail. It's one of those delightfully distasteful words to consider their literal meaning.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

You can kiss or lick someone's boots in the UK, though I hear brown-nosing used a lot now.

Status
Not open for further replies.