Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. meekrm

    What's name in English for . . . .

    Isn't there a name in English for when foreigner's can't pronounce or mix up the "l's" and "r's". The letters are made right next to each other in the mouth and many asian folks mix up the "l" and "r"

  2. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 309

    Re: What's name in English for . . . .

    There´s broken English and pidgin English for English that is not so good.

  3. rewboss's Avatar

    • Join Date: Feb 2006
    • Posts: 1,552

    Re: What's name in English for . . . .

    "Lambdacism" means "saying [l] instead of [r]" or simply "using [l] too often" (from lambda, the Greek letter L). I don't know if there is a word that just means "getting [r] and [l] confused", but this comes close.

    Janaina, "pidgin English" is not the same as "bad English". A pidgin is an artificial language made up of elements of at least two languages that is used for trade between two cultures when they have no common language. If it becomes widely used among the general population for everyday use, it is known as a "creole". A creole may develop into a language in its own right.

Similar Threads

  1. Help
    By zhangjin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2008, 20:47
  2. Seminar
    By mallikatweety in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-Jun-2006, 11:07
  3. Is it right?
    By Genrikh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2005, 16:59


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts