Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
May I know the differences in usages between clean and cleanse? I searched the result as follows.

( "cleaning" normally involves removing dirt and blemishes from the surfaces of an object, while "cleansing" refers to removing impurities from the object as a whole.)

Is it correct?

Thanks.

J

J&K Tutoring

As verbs, there isn't a significant difference between the two. These days, we don't use cleanse very much. Clean is much more common.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think 'cleaning' would not be used in 'ethnic cleansing'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Cleanse" is also used in some rituals. For example, the pagan/Wiccan ritual of sage smudging, which involves wafting a smouldering bunch of sage around the doors, windows and rooms of a house or a flat, is believed to "cleanse" the property. The idea is, as you said in post #1, to get rid of impurities, both physical and not. Sometimes it's done as a matter of course when moving house and sometimes it's done if there is a traumatic, violent or tragic history to a property.

It would be done in addition to "cleaning" the property, for which one needs a mop, bucket, duster, hoover etc!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think 'cleaning' would not be used in 'ethnic cleansing'.

It wouldn't, but here it is associated that the society will be purer once these people have been removed. It has similar undertones, albeit more sinister ones, to the ideas of cleansing the soul/mind, etc, or wafting burning sage.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Peddlers of cure-all alternative health products do the same for the same reason. A friend who is quite probably curing herself to death with these things is liable to gush about a particularly noxious concoction, "It's so cleansing!"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If it's expensive, it will claim to cleanse to justify the price.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
I associate "cleanse" with quack remedies, marketing slogans, and xenophobic purges.

But more generally, it seems to me that "cleanse" is more thorough, as in eliminating all the undesired elements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.