Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
This mountain has never been climbed by anyone. Several mountaineers have tried to reach the top, but nobody has ever succeeded. The climb is extremely difficult and many people have died trying to reach the summit.

Why is the present perfect used in the second and the third sentences? The mountaineers tried to reach the summit in the past, and at the time of speaking they weren't alive. Is the following (my version) possible? And if so, what are the differencies in meaning?

This mountain has never been climbed by anyone. Several mountaineers tried to reach the top, but nobody ever succeeded. The climb is extremely difficult and many people have died trying to reach the summit.

Well, I haven't changed the third sentence for some reason. I'm not sure, honestly, about this sentence even more. It's about the present, and at the same time... they died in the past, maybe many years ago. I'm confused, really...

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Over the years, several mountaineers have tried to reach the top, but nobody has ever succeeded.

I think the present perfect is used because it refers to a period from the past to the present, i.e. 'over the years'.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The second version of the passage doesn't work. In the writer's time-frame, the current condition is that all of the actions are in the past. The present perfect expresses this nuance.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To me, the present perfect implies that other people are going to come along and try. The past tense suggests everybody has given up for ever.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Until someone makes it to the top, the process is unfinished. The present perfect suggests this. I'd only use the past if people had given up trying.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
or if the mountain doesn't exist any more.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thank you all for your explanations. I think I understand why the present perfect is used there. But what a beautifully tricky exercise that was for me! Do you know where I could find something similar on the present perfect vs past simple: some book or any exercises online, maybe?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you all for your explanations. I think I've understood why there the present perfect is used. But what a beautifully tricky exercise that was for me! Do you know where I could find something similar on the present perfect vs past simple: some book or any exercises online, maybe?

I don't know where to find more exercises but I can tell you that you should have used the present in your second sentence. :)

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I don't know where to find more exercises but I can tell you that you should have used the present in your second sentence. :)
You probably meant in the third: what a beautifully tricky exercise that was for me. I should have said has been, obviously. :-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. GS meant exactly what he/she said. Your second sentence should have been "Now I understand why the present perfect is used there". Note the correct position of the word "there" in that sentence.

The use of "was" in the third sentence was correct. Also, if you had followed GeneD's advice for your third sentence, you should have changed it to "What a beautifully tricky sentence that is for me" - the advice was to use the present, not the present perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
No. GS meant exactly what he/she said. Your second sentence should have bee "Now I understand why the present perfect is used there". Note the correct position of the word "there" in that sentence.

The use of "was" in the third sentence was correct. Also, if you had followed GS's advice for your third sentence, you should have changed it to "What a beautifully tricky sentence that is for me" - the advice was to use the present, not the present perfect.

Thanks for the clarifications. It's interesting because I always say when something becomes clear to me that I've got it or I've understood. Do you mean that it's ok to say I've got it but not I've understood; it should be I understand instead?

I didn't know that the present means exactly the present simple. I thought it could be any present tense (continuous, simple or perfect). Now I understand, thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Now I've got it" is correct. "I've got it" means "I have got it" - the present tense form of the verb "to have got" (which means "to have"). The past simple is "I had it" and the present perfect is "I have had it". (Note that neither of those work when you're talking about understanding something.)

"Now I understand" is correct.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I take it to mean 'Previously I did not understand, but now I do.'

Status