Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
To recognise a word and spell a word are different.

Able to recognise a word means one can know the word by how it looks.

Able to spell a word means one can spell all letters of a word precisely.

Am I correct?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"To recognise a word" and " to spell a word" are different.

Being able to recognise a word means one can know the word by how it looks.

Being able to spell a word means one can spell all letters of a word precisely.

Am I correct?

Thanks.

You are correct.

J

J&K Tutoring

Yes, they are different, just as the two sides of a coin are different. But it's still the same coin, isn't it?

It baffles me that English learning (both in native-speaking countries and abroad) ignores phonics as a method to learn pronunciation and spelling. By learning the sounds of letters and a few simple rules, students can learn to say a word they see and/or how to spell a word they hear. This concept is very different from your native Chinese, where the word you say and the word you write have no relation to each other, except as each refers back to the original 'thing'.

For my older students, I draw a diagram from 'thing' (the object itself) to 'name' (the word we say to communicate this concept to other people) and to 'word' (the way we write about this concept). In English, this is a straight line from one to another in a logical sequence (ancient people were talking before they were writing). In Chinese, it is a 'Y' shape. The 'name' and the 'word' do not connect with each other, they only connect back to the 'thing'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It baffles me that English learning (both in native-speaking countries and abroad) ignores phonics as a method to learn pronunciation and spelling.

Phonics and synthetic phonics are coming back in some primary schools in the UK, though I know little about them as I do not teach in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.