• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

"like" button and "thumbs-up"

The following question is concerned with these forums: what exactly the "like" button means? Every time I want to thank somebody for the reply I also click "like" because I do like when my question is resolved and I see clearly (or more clearly) what I didn't understand before. But I couldn't also have noticed that the "like" button has the emoji of thumbs-up and that it's pressed by the teachers most frequently and seems to mean "I agree with you" rather than just "like". From this perspective, my clicking the "like" button looks ridiculous because I can't really agree on something I don't know. Hence my confusion. The dictionary entry for "thumbs-up" gives the folowing: "thumbs-up is a reaction that shows you like something such as a plan or idea, or that you will accept it" (http://www.macmillandictionary.com/d...tish/thumbs-up). And I can't say I see to which side the definition is closer.

So... Is it a bad habit for a learner to press the "like" button in reply to the answer to the question? Or is it a good one (at least, not unappropriate)?
    If it's not too much trouble to you, could you please correct any errors I might have made in this post?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: "like" button and "thumbs-up"

On the forum, the "Like" button indicates that you agree with the answer or, in some cases, that it made you smile (sometimes posts are funny!) The best option for learners when a response is useful is the "Thank" button to show your appreciation for the response. It helps, of course, if you actually understand the response before you click "Thank". If you don't understand, ask a follow-up question.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

GoesStation is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'd say yes, it's better not to habitually click both "like" and "thanks". It's fine to click both to indicate you particularly enjoyed a post and you want to thank the poster for answering your question though.
    I am not a teacher.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I use the Like button for something I like or agree with, and the Thank button to indicate that the post has something extra or special about it.