• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

My grammar exercises

In the following sentences I have tried to use the verb "toss". Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. The family was tossed out of the restaurant because the children repeatedly threw pieces of bread at other guests.
    2. Anna had a job interview in the morning and was unable to sleep. She tossed and turned for hours before she fell asleep.
    3. While John was watching TV, his wife was tossing pancakes in the kitchen.
    4. I sat on a jetty, watching yachts tossing gently under the blue sky.
    5. Gina read the letter from his lover, apologising for forgetting to sent her a birthday card. She crushed it in her hand and tossed it into the fire.
    6. When the contract was signed, the two CEOs clinked tumblers and tossed off their whisky.
    7. A well-known travel writer roaming in the Balkans describes villages where people toss down shots of strong slivovitz as if it were a water.

Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: My grammar exercises

I like all of your uses of "toss". Apparently, however, you want me to look at other things too.

In the first sentence I would use "patrons" instead of guests.

For number five (5) say:

Gina read the letter from HER lover. In it he apologized for forgetting to send her a birthday card. She crushed it ....

For number seven (7), delete "a" before "water".

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    In the following sentences I have tried to use the verb "toss". Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. The family was tossed thrown out of the restaurant because the children repeatedly threw pieces of bread at other guests diners.
    2. Anna had a job interview in the morning and was unable to sleep. She tossed and turned for hours before she fell asleep.
    3. While John was watching TV, his wife was tossing pancakes in the kitchen.
    4. I sat on a jetty, watching yachts tossing gently under the blue sky. "Tossing gently" really doesn't work. I'd use "rocking/bobbing gently".
    5. Gina read the letter from his lover, apologising for forgetting to sent send her a birthday card. She crushed it screwed it up/balled it up in her hand and tossed it into the fire.
    6. When the contract was signed, the two CEOs clinked tumblers and tossed off their whisky. Please don't use "toss off". In BrE, it means "masturbate a man". You can use "tossed back" there.
    7. A well-known travel writer roaming in the Balkans describes villages where people toss down shots of strong slivovitz as if it were a water. In case it's not clear, delete "a" before "water".
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In American English "toss off" does not refer to male masturbation. ("Jerk off" maybe.)