Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    moseen is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    196

    the information

    Does information must be preceded by "the" because "information" is specified by "saying that..." ?
    So, the author has received the information saying that neither woman has made a complaint.

  2. #2
    teechar's Avatar
    teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    11,486

    Re: the information

    Quote Originally Posted by moseen View Post
    Does Should "information" must be preceded by "the" because "information" is specified by "saying that..." ?
    So, the author has received the information saying that neither woman has made a complaint.
    No.
    The author has received some information which says that neither ...

    In that sentence, "saying that, etc." just adds extra information to "information"! It does not specify it.

    However, it is possible (in a less likely context) that the author was anticipating receipt of that particular piece of information. If so, use "the".

  3. #3
    moseen is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    196

    Re: the information

    Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    No.
    The author has received some information which says that neither ...

    In that sentence, "saying that, etc." just adds extra information to "information"! It does not specify it.

    However, it is possible (in a less likely context) that the author was anticipating receipt of that particular piece of information. If so, use "the".
    Ecuse me, why didn't you say "In that sentence, "saying that, etc." just adds extra information to the "information"! It does not specify it."? Because In your sentence "information" is used for second time and every time a noun is used for second time it should have "the".
    Last edited by moseen; 30-Sep-2017 at 14:17.

  4. #4
    teechar's Avatar
    teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    11,486

    Re: the information

    Quote Originally Posted by moseen View Post
    Ecuse Excuse me,
    Did your spellchecker not alert you to that mistake? In any case, you don't need to say "Excuse me" in future. You can ask your question directly.

    Quote Originally Posted by moseen View Post
    why didn't you say "In that sentence, "saying that, etc." just adds extra information to the "information"!
    Did you notice how the word information is enclosed by double quotes in my previous post? What does that tell you?

  5. #5
    moseen is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    196

    Re: the information

    Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    Did your spellchecker not alert you to that mistake? In any case, you don't need to say "Excuse me" in future. You can ask your question directly.

    Did you notice how the word information is enclosed by double quotes in my previous post? What does that tell you?
    Yes I know information is different with "information" in your sentence, I meant "information" in your sentence refer to information in original sentence and shouldn't you use "the" for it?
    Last edited by moseen; 30-Sep-2017 at 14:41.

  6. #6
    Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Matthew Wai is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,327

    Re: the information

    I take 'information' to mean 'the word "information" in the OP's original sentence', where 'the word' and 'in the OP's original sentence' can be omitted.
    I am not a teacher.

  7. #7
    teechar's Avatar
    teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    11,486

    Re: the information

    Quote Originally Posted by moseen View Post
    Yes I know information is different from "information" in your sentence. I meant "information" in your sentence refers to information in the original sentence, and so shouldn't you use "the" for it?
    No. It ("information") means the word "information".

    ... just adds extra information to "information"!
    ... just adds extra information to the word "information" in that sentence!
    ... just adds extra information to the "information"!
    This is not dissimilar to how we don't normally use the definite article with proper nouns.

  8. #8
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,172

    Re: the information

    Something like The author has learned that neither woman works better for me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •