• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular col

1) After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular colleges whereas others started graduating from SOL (it means school of open learning).

2) After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular colleges whereas others started trying for a degree from SOL (it means school of open learning).

Please check my sentences.

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    1) After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular colleges whereas others started graduating from SOL (it means school of open learning).

2) After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular colleges whereas others started trying for a degree from SOL (it means the School of Open Learning).
    The part I underlined in number 1 does not mean what you think it means.
    Last edited by GoesStation; 03-Oct-2017 at 15:09.
    I am not a teacher.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    The part I underlined in number 1 does not mean what you think it means.
    "Started trying for a degree" this is what I should have used. This is the only option available. Am I correct?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    We don't normally 'try for a degree' in BrE We simply go to university. It is generally assumed that, if we go to university, we hope to leave with a degree.
    But how about SOL or distant learning? If we are talking about SOL or distant learning that means you are talking about a person who doesn't go to an university. He/she is trying for a degree without going to any university.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

But how about SOL or distant learning? If we are talking about SOL or distant learning that means you are talking about a person who doesn't go to a [not "an"] university. He/she is trying for a degree without going to any university.
    Such a person is presumably enrolled in the online university. If so, they are trying to earn a degree.

The first syllable in "university" is pronounced like you. Like ​European, we use a before it.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Such a person is presumably enrolled in the online university. If so, they are trying to earn a degree.

The first syllable in "university" is pronounced like you. Like ​European, we use a before it.
    Can I say "In the year 2000 Tom was trying to earn a degree from SOL whereas his brother was going to Oxford university to get a degree in BSC"?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Can I say "In the year 2000 Tom was trying to earn a degree from SOL whereas his brother was going to Oxford university to get a degree in BSC"?
    Yes, mostly. Put a comma after 2000. His brother could get a Bachelor of Science degree, abbreviated BS. If that's the degree you're talking about, he can't get a degree in it. You get a degree in the area you specialize in; for example, a BS in biology.
    I am not a teacher.

bubbha is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

I would write it like this:

In the year 2000, Tom was trying to earn a degree from SOL, whereas his brother was going to Oxford University to get a BSc degree.

(Or does "BSC" stand for the name of a field, like Binary Synchronous Communications? If it is, you should write it out in full the first time it is mentioned.)
    NOT A TEACHER. Translator and editor, and I hold a TESOL certificate. Native speaker of American English (West Coast)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by bubbha View Post
    I would write it like this:

(Or does "BSC" stand for the name of a field, like Binary Synchronous Communications? If it is, you should write it out in full the first time it is mentioned.)
    No, it means bachelor of science.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

As Piscean already pointed out, the correct abbreviation is BSc.