Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    moseen is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    196

    at midday, why not "at the midday"?

    Why can't we say "at the midday"? we can "the middle of the day" but we can't say "at the midday", what is the difference between "midday" and "middle"?
    The helicopter took off at midday and headed for the island.
    Last edited by moseen; 06-Oct-2017 at 20:38.

  2. #2
    Tarheel's Avatar
    Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    22,938

    Re: at midday, why not "at the midday"?

    In American English we would say "at noon" or "at midnight". Perhaps somebody knows why it is said that way.

  3. #3
    moseen is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    196

    Re: at midday, why not "at the midday"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    In American English we would say "at noon" or "at midnight". Perhaps somebody knows why it is said that way.
    is it because of "midday" is uncountable?

  4. #4
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,264

    Re: at midday, why not "at the midday"?

    Quote Originally Posted by moseen View Post
    Is it because of "midday" is uncountable?
    I don't think so. We use at before stating the time something occurs: at six o'clock, at noon, at midnight,​ etc.
    I am not a teacher.

  5. #5
    moseen is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    196

    Re: at midday, why not "at the midday"?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I don't think so. We use at before stating the time something occurs: at six o'clock, at noon, at midnight,​ etc.
    Don't you say at the six o'clock? Because "six o'clock" is specific.

  6. #6
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,264

    Re: at midday, why not "at the midday"?

    Quote Originally Posted by moseen View Post
    Don't you say at the six o'clock? Because "six o'clock" is specific.
    No. In old texts you may see at the sixth hour, but we haven't used that construction for a very long time.
    I am not a teacher.

  7. #7
    moseen is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    196

    Re: at midday, why not "at the midday"?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    No. In old texts you may see at the sixth hour, but we haven't used that construction for a very long time.
    If we say "in the midday", is it correct as grammatically?

  8. #8
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,264

    Re: at midday, why not "at the midday"?

    Quote Originally Posted by moseen View Post
    If we say "in the midday", is it correct as grammatically correct?
    No. Midday takes "at". You can say "in the middle of the ​day", which I presume is the origin of the word "midday".
    Last edited by GoesStation; 06-Oct-2017 at 22:22. Reason: Fix a word.
    I am not a teacher.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •