• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

When the breakdown truck crew

I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct. "Breakdown truck" is BrE. "Tow truck" is AmE.

When the breakdown truck crew arrived to remove a Ford from the ditch, they were astonished to find its driver blind drank. When he saw them, he shouted, "Last pint before closing, please!"

Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: When the breakdown truck crew

Say:

blind drunk

Otherwise it's fine.

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I don't think tow truck drivers are astonished to find the driver of a car in the ditch blind drunk. They see that kind of thing far too often.
    I am not a teacher.

Bassim is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

GoesStation,
    I think it depends in which country you live. In some countries you are allowed to drink alcohol and drive and in others you are not allowed to drink one single drop of alcohol. Last year, a Swedish youngest minister, a woman who was born in Bosnia and had come to Sweden as a refugee just as I did, was caught driving under the influence. She had been in Denmark, and when she passed the bridge linking Sweden and Denmark she was stopped by the traffic police. She had just 0.2 grams per litre. She had drunk just one glass of sparkling wine and one of red. She lost her job. and she was finished as a politician. If this had happened in Bosnia for example, she would only paid a fine and it would end with that.

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm pretty sure driving while drunk is illegal everywhere in the world. Sadly, that doesn't always stop people from doing it.
    I am not a teacher.

teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    GoesStation,
    I think it depends in which country you live. In some countries, you are allowed to drink alcohol and drive, and in others, you are not allowed to drink one single drop of alcohol. Last year, a Swedish Sweden's youngest minister, a woman who was born in Bosnia and had come to Sweden as a refugee just as I did, was caught driving under the influence. She had been in Denmark, and when she passed the bridge linking Sweden and Denmark, she was stopped by the traffic police. She had just 0.2 grams per litre. She had drunk just one glass of sparkling wine and one of red. She lost her job. and she was finished as a politician. If this had happened in Bosnia for example, she would only have paid a fine and it would have ended with that.
    I recently had some excellent sparkling red wine. Needless to say, I wasn't driving!

Bassim is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

My father used to make wine from our grapes. He kept it in a plastic barrel in the hall to ferment for a week or two. Once my father went away for a few days. At that time, a relative from Sarajevo came for a visit. My aunt and I was at home, and the aunt asked him if he wanted to taste some wine, which was still fermenting. "Of course," he answered. My aunt gave me a jug, which was about 0.5 litre to bring some wine. I fetched the wine in a jug full to the brim, and he drank it like water. An hour or two later, I brought another jug, or pitcher in AmE, and another, and more. He stayed with us two days and drank many litres of wine. When my father returned, he was angry, and asked me how could I have given him so much wine to drink, but I replied that I didn't know what to do when it is an unwritten rule in our country to give everything what a guest wishes to make him feel at home.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I'm pretty sure driving while drunk is illegal everywhere in the world.
    In some countries, there is little or no enforcement. I once saw a guy so drunk he couldn't get his motorbike started. The waiter came out of the place he'd been drinking in and helpfully started it for him, allowing him to weave wildly up the road towards me.