Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Could you please check the following sentences?

Pink is my favorite color. I got my bedroom painted in pink because it has a calming and tenderness effect on me. It also reminds me of the color of blossom when it is spring. In addition, it brings all sweet memories from my childhood when I was given a big beer which was pink in color. Since then, that color has become my favorite one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you please check the following sentences?

Pink is my favorite color. I got my bedroom painted in pink because it has a calming and [STRIKE]tenderness[/STRIKE] soothing effect on me. It also reminds me of the color of spring blossom. [STRIKE]when it is spring.[/STRIKE] In addition, it brings back all the sweet memories from my childhood when I was given a big pink [STRIKE]beer[/STRIKE] bear. [STRIKE]which was pink in color.[/STRIKE] Since then, that color has [STRIKE]become[/STRIKE] been my favorite. [STRIKE]one.[/STRIKE]

Please see my corrections above. Although I love the idea of you being given pink beer when you were a child, I'm sure you meant bear!

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Thanks so much Emsrd2d. Could you please check the following lines too?

The color pink represents romance and charm. In fact, it is said that if pink is your favorite color, you are loving, kind, generous and sensitive to the needs of others, as well as being romantic. This color
is not aggressive like red, but rather suggests safety and vulnerability. It is a very contradictory as well. I mean, its meaning can depend greatly on the culture and context in which it is presented. It can be linked/associated to/with feminine and masculine, shallowness and tenderness and many other things.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks so much Emsrd2d. Could you please check the following lines too?

The color pink represents romance and charm. In fact, it is said that if pink is your favorite color, you are loving, kind, generous, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] sensitive to the needs of others, [STRIKE]as well as being[/STRIKE] and romantic. This color
is not aggressive like red, but rather suggests safety and vulnerability. It is [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] very contradictory as well. What I mean by this is that its meaning can depend greatly on the culture and context in which it is presented. It can be linked/associated to/with femininity and masculinity, shallowness and tenderness, and many other things.

See above. I'd use "associated with" near the end where you offered choices.

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Thanks Thanks Thanks so much. It was helpful, great and informative. How fast you are at correcting Emsrd2d. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that it should be:

spring blossoms

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Blossom works in BrE.

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Note that it should be:

spring blossoms

Tarheel, why are you so bigoted and fanatic on American English language? I have noticed that when you are making some corrections on people's essays, whenever you see the BrE words immediately replace it with its AmE counterparts without stating it to learners. This makes learners believe that the BrE words are wrong and also makes them confused. You did it again here. I also haven't notice such behavior among British teachers here. In fact, if American English language exists now it is because of British English that has been existed a long time ago.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Tarheel, why are you so bigoted and fanatic on American English language? I have noticed that when you are making some corrections on people's essays, whenever you see the BrE words immediately replace it with its AmE counterparts without stating it to learners. This makes learners believe that the BrE words are wrong and also makes them confused. You did it again here. I also haven't notice such behavior among British teachers here. In fact, if American English language exists now it is because of British English that has been existed a long time ago.

I think that's a little harsh, particularly the beginning. However, I agree that it is not necessarily helpful to make corrections without stating that one is giving the correct version in one's particular variant. Unless it's a really obvious spelling error (one that would be an error in all variants), I'm careful to write "That would be XXX in BrE".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Please don't throw words like bigoted around; it doesn't make for a happy forum. If someone says something that reflects one variant, someone else will be along to give a different view. Many of the minute variations between the variants of English may not be widely known. I only found this one out today in this thread. No one is trying to drive one variant home at the expense of others. People use their language. This can lead occasionally to minor misunderstandings. It's not bigotry.

Last edited:

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Sorry Tarheel and other teachers. I didn’t want to be so harsh. I didn’t know those words were that harsh. Actually, I was looking for words to show that someone is too keen on something and I get help from Google Translate, and it suggested me those words. I looked up in dictionaries and though that they are not bad words. Sorry I didn’t meant to make Tarheel sad. I just wanted to ask him if he wants to use AmE words just states it.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Bigoted" and "fanatic" are indeed strong adjectives to describe a person.
Try "overzealous" or say that somebody tends to "get carried away" are probably milder ways to put it.
Sometimes, good writing is also about being diplomatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.