Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have tried to use "bring" in my sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. Working as a social worker brought Peter into contact with all kinds of people, especially those from the margins of society.
2. The government has promised to introduce lengthier sentences for burglary in order to curb their high rates in the latest years.
3. "Why do you bring up my previous boyfriends?" Maria asked her husband. "I've never brought up your past affairs."
4. The country is so divided by national and religious lines that many doubt it would ever be united again.
5. The sale of the painting by a well-known painter brought as twice as much as the auction house expected.
6. Tom was brought up in a religious family, which demanded from to stay away from girls. When he grew up and started to live on his own, he became a womaniser, probably to compensate for his strict upbringing.
7. John's gambling only brought misery and poverty down on his family.
8. Anna heard a Beatles song on the radio, and it immediately brought back memories from her school days.
9. Maria could not stand Ivan. As soon as she heard him talking, his voice brought her out in a sweat.
10. The company, which was on the brink of bankruptcy, had brought a former CEO in to save them from it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For number two, perhaps:

Because of the increased numbers of burglaries in recent years, the government has promised to lengthen the sentences for burglary.

For sentence four, perhaps:

The country is so divided along national and religious lines that many doubt it will ever be united again.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For sentence five, say:

The sale of the painting...brought twice as much....

Sentence six. Perhaps:

Tom was brought up in a religious family, and he was forbidden to date. When he grew up....

For sentence ten, say:

The company, which was on the brink of bankruptcy, brought a former CEO in to save them from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.