English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi,

I have some Japanese kids studying the Let's Go text books (level 1) and they are doing well with it. They are 7 and 8 years old. However the reading is very difficult and they can only read and guess at individual words. The mid term test is arriving which has a fair bit of text to read and fill in the blanks. I'm struggling to come up with an idea or concept which is going to help them. I do phonics with them and hear out sounds during lessons to assist the reading parts.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to best progress with this? Thanks, Matt.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi,

I have some Japanese kids studying the Let's Go textbooks (level 1), and they are doing well with it. They are 7 and 8 years old. However, the reading is very difficult, and they can only read and guess at individual words.
That appears to contradict your first sentence.

The midterm test is arriving which has a fair bit of text to read and fill in the blanks. I'm struggling to come up with an idea or concept which is going to help them. I do phonics with them and hear out sounds during lessons to assist the reading parts.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to best progress with this? Thanks, Matt.
If they're struggling with the text in those books, consider using easier material for a while. I honestly think it would be counterproductive to focus solely on how they do in their tests, especially for children so young. The key here is to make and keep them interested. If you put too much pressure on them, they may end up hating English for the rest of their lives!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If they're doing well, could it be that the problem is the test? Can you do anything about that? I am learning a language with a different alphabet and I would say that I can decipher rather than read so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt501

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks for your advice. Regarding the test I can't change it so I'm focussing on the dialogue used in the test. I'm also using the online version of the course to help with the reading part. Thank you all for the replies. Matt.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your advice. Regarding the test, I can't change it so I'm focusing on the dialogue used in the test. I'm also using the online version of the course to help with the reading part. Thank you all for the replies. Matt.

Note the above. "Focusing/focused" are two of the most commonly misspelled words in the English language.

nigele2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Note the above. "Focusing/focused" are two of the most commonly misspelled words in the English language.

I have seen many references to both versions being perfectly acceptable over many years. And both seem accepted by Microsoft Word. Is not doubling the 's' based on a rule related to stressed syllables?

Matt501

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Fanx[/STRIKE] Thanks, [STRIKE]guyz[/STRIKE] guys.

I realise you were probably being ironic but please bear in mind that some learners on this forum assume that everything written by native speakers, particularly English teachers, is correct. On that basis, I have corrected the post above.
Learners will also wish to note that some people say that "guys" refers only to men. However, plenty of native speakers use it towards mixed groups and, sometimes, towards groups made up exclusively of women.

Status
Not open for further replies.