• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

I'm going to go (I'm going)

Frank: I heard you're taking a Spanish class at the community college.
    Tom: Yeah, I'm going to go (I'm going) to Guatemala next spring and I thought knowing a little Spanish would make the trip easier.
    Frank: I'm going to visit (I'm visiting)my brother in Marseilles next year. Maybe I should take a French class.
    Tom: I have a course catalog in the other room. I'll go get it, and we can see whether or not they're offering a French course next semester.
    (taken from https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/verbs19.htm)

There is no such an option as the present continuous in the online exercise, but I think it's a good idea to clear the thing up anyway. Am I mistaken saying that the present continuous is possible in the second and third sentences? In this case, there would be a slight shift in meaning, wouldn't there? Tom and Frank unlikely will change their minds. Do I see it right?
    Last edited by GeneD; 15-Oct-2017 at 14:01. Reason: error
    If it's not too much trouble to you, could you please correct any errors I might have made in this post?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: I'm going to go (I'm going)

The present continuous would work there for me. You could say that, especially in the second, the plans are more definite with this form.