Should and Shall?

Hello all! Can someone tell when should I use "should" and "shall"? What's the difference between them? And, "also" and "too", What's the difference? Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: Should and Shall?

Quote Originally Posted by aslan_bio
    Hello all! Can someone tell when should I use "should" and "shall"? What's the difference between them? And, "also" and "too", What's the difference? Thank you very much!

Should/shall

This topic was already discussed in this forum a few days ago,but I don`t mind helping you.

I`ll start with some examples:

1 . "The user shall select the window’s button".
    2 . "The user should select the window’s button".

1. obligation ; used when expressing rules and regulations- "The user shall select...", means that the user is obliged to do it in order to succeed in the operation required [ the operation is required by the provider ; otherwise everything might go wrong]
    another example : Each contestant or competitor shall wear a number on his/ her T-shirt [ it is a rule that must be followed by each one who participates in a competition]

2. should select = is supposed to select : The user should select the window`s button = The user is supposed to select... This is a suggestion or some advice.

Let`s revise :

SHALL : necessity, compulsion, obligation, etc.In British English 'Shall' is often used instead of will in the first person (I/we).
    'Shall' is also often used in the first person (I/we) in questions when asking for permission, making suggestions, making an offer or asking for advice.
    Shall I do that?
    Shall we go home?

SHOULD : expectation,prediction,advice, suggestion, possibility, probability, etc

Should expresses expectation [ can use also "ought to"]

The lawyers for Metallica should get several chances to state their objections to Napster.
    (This is what I expect.)

Students should be nervous this week about losing their favorite site for downloading music. (This is what I expect.)

Should can express possibility or probability, wonder or surprise ;
    e.g. They should be at home by now.[possibility, probability]. Using "must" one can have a feeling of certainty.
    How should I know?[ also: How am I supposed to know?]

Search the web , our UsingEnglish site or [http://gocsm.net/sevas/esl/reviewlesson/modal2c.html] for further details

Regards,
    Last edited by Teia; 03-Aug-2006 at 00:23.

Thank you very much Teia! bye!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

You are always welcome Aslan!

See you later,