Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

I have to do a Polish translation of a trailer, but some of the words there are pronounced in such a way, that I am unable to recognize them, which is (quite obviously) a big issue. I tried a lot, but realized it is simply beyond my reach. I would be very grateful if somebody was kind enough to help me with a script.

The sentences I have a problem with appear at: 0:33 (the beginning is a complete mystery to me), 0:37, 1:36.

And here is the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mu5NX5jKXQ

Best wishes,
Adam

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

There is no link to the trailer in your post. Please try again.

Also, you said "I have to do a Polish translation ...". Who is making you do this?

maczynski

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello, thank you for accepting me!
I'm sorry for my mistake. The link is now in the main post. I have to do this translation for work.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not surprised you had a bit of trouble. I've had a stab at it but, as a BrE speaker, I struggled a little with the accent. I heard:

"They pulled/polled you from the seats. I mean, that's the way it was built."
"There used to be a, very, literally, an ante-rooms to the toilets. Seventh Avenue was our storage area."
"And Bing ganged up with all the rest of them. These were the people who turned his dreams into nightmares."

I've underlined the bits I'm not sure about. I hope an AmE speaker will have a go too.

PS - I hope you'll be telling your boss that we helped. We'll look forward to our payment for doing your job for you!

maczynski

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you very much for your attempt. The words you underlined are exactly the ones I have the most trouble with. I hope I can find a helpful American fellow to confirm this proposal.
I will issue a transfer as soon as possible. ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm going to move this thread (briefly) into the Ask a Teacher section, because that section gets more attention than this one. I'm sure an AmE speaker will have a listen soon. Once there's a clear answer, I'll move it back.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The way the excerpt interposes different voices to make complete sentences could certainly make this a challenging video to transcribe.

From 0:33: "There're poles in front of the seats. I mean, that's the way it was built! They used to rehearse literally in ante-rooms to the toilets. Seventh Avenue was our storage area. It was tiny!" (The video shows a person peering around a pole in the auditorium when the word "poles" is spoken, so that one's not too difficult. Most Americans would say There's poles, which would probably make that a little easier to hear; this speaker is in a milieu that favors careful speech, so he very correctly says "there're".)

From 1:36: "And Bing ganged up with all the rest of them. These were the people who turned his dreams into nightmares!"

You didn't give end times for the problem areas, so I did a reasonable bit after each start time.

Note that the thread's title should say "pronunciation".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I listened to it several times without success.

I wanted to listen to it again to see if I could get it after reading GS's post. Unfortunately, it has been removed.

Oh, that's a shame. It would have been really useful for other learners (and probably some more non AmE speakers to do that). I'll move this back to Pronunciation and Phonetics then, and close the thread.

Maczynski, if you were the one who uploaded it to and then removed it from YouTube, please consider putting it back on there so that people can get some more use from this thread. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.