Interested in Language
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello everyone

I would be obliged if you could proofread my essay.

Currently there is a trend towards the use of alternative forms of medicine. However, at best these methods are ineffective, and at worst they may be dangerous.

To what extent do you agree with this statement?

As a matter of fact, alternative medicine predates conventional medicine and people have usually tried them in tandem with conventional therapies. While some argue that they are ineffective or even dangerous, I am of the opinion that they can be helpful along with the western medicine.

The conventional medical community give several reasons why they are dismissive of the alternatives. To begin with, there has not been enough scientific research into the effectiveness of the alternative therapies. Therefore, such therapies are not normally practised by medical doctors, but usually recommended by friends. In addition, the people who go to the therapists for the alternatives are mostly affected by the placebo effect of the medicine. Besides, the alternative medicines could just be practical for long-term chronic diseases. There is no place for these therapies when it comes to serious medical problems which need immediate action.

That said, there are solid arguments for the effectiveness and use of alternatives. First and foremost, although there is little scientific support to prove the efficacy of such treatments, there is much anecdotal evidence which indicates the success of alternatives. Next, compared to western medicine, alternatives have by far less side effects. This could be a reason why many people first try some alternatives like herbal medicines before going to the doctor for some chemical drugs. In addition, in many countries people can receive conventional drugs free of charge. Yet, many of them pay considerable sums for alternatives. Would it not be ill-judged to claim that alternatives are ineffective while they are preferred to some free conventional treatments?

By way of conclusion, I am inclined to say that alternatives are effective and, at times, better treatments than conventional therapies. Putting that another way, alternatives and conventional therapies should coexist to come up with the best possible cure for the patient.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZigZ4g

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Why is my thread being overlooked, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.