• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Usage of "won't" and "wouldn't"

Hi there, If someone asks me "would mind if I borrow your book?", Should I reply "I won't mind. you can take it." or "I wouldn't mind. You can take it". My question is which one I should use to reply: "won't" or "wouldn't"?

And one more question, Suppose my friend tells me "would you believe that I met the prime minister yesterday?" Can I reply "no, I wouldn't."? Or, should I use "no, I won't."?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Usage of "won't" and "wouldn't"

Quote Originally Posted by subhajit123 View Post
    Hi there.

If someone asks me "Would you mind if I borrowed your book?", should I reply "I don't mind. You can take it" or "I wouldn't mind. You can take it"? My question is which one I should use to reply: "won't" or "wouldn't"?

And one more question - suppose my friend tells says to/asks me "Would you believe that I met the prime minister yesterday?" Can I reply "No, I wouldn't" ? or (no comma here) should I use "No, I won't"?
    Please note my corrections above.

Even though "I wouldn't mind" seems to be the logical response, a native speaker is unlikely to use it. We'd say "That's fine" or "OK". We might
    say "I don't mind".
    "No, I wouldn't" is the correct answer to your second question.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.